Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rs...@engelschall.com> on 1999/05/25 12:08:30 UTC

mod_ssl 2.3.0 released

As for every major version, I also drop a note to this developer list.  After
over six months of preperation in the background, support for
Diffie-Hellman/DSA and Certificate Revocation Lists (CRL) were now comitted
for mod_ssl 2.3. Additionally mod_ssl was now updated for the brand-new
OpenSSL 0.9.3. The official announcement for this forth major mod_ssl
version is appended. It summarizes the current features of mod_ssl, too.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com
                      _             _
  _ __ ___   ___   __| |    ___ ___| |
 | '_ ` _ \ / _ \ / _` |   / __/ __| |
 |_| |_| |_|\___/ \__,_|___|___/___/_|   Apache with the security of OpenSSL.''
                      |_____|
 mod_ssl                               ``Ralf Engelschall has released an
 Apache Interface to OpenSSL             excellent module that integrates
 http://www.modssl.org/                  Apache and SSLeay/OpenSSL.''
 Version 2.3                                           -- Tim J. Hudson

 This Apache module provides strong cryptography for the Apache 1.3 webserver
 via the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL v2/v3) and Transport Layer Security (TLS
 v1) protocols by the help of the Open Source SSL/TLS toolkit OpenSSL, which
 is based on SSLeay from Eric A. Young and Tim J. Hudson. The mod_ssl package
 was created in April 1998 by Ralf S. Engelschall and was originally derived
 from software developed by Ben Laurie for use in the Apache-SSL HTTP server
 project.

 As a summary, here are its main features:

   o  Open-Source software (BSD-style license)
   o  Useable for both commercial and non-commercial use
   o  Available for both Unix and Win32 (Windows 95/98/NT) platforms
   o  128-bit strong cryptography world-wide
   o  Support for SSLv2, SSLv3 and TLSv1 protocols
   o  Support for both RSA and Diffie-Hellman ciphers
   o  Clean reviewable ANSI C source code
   o  Clean Apache module architecture
   o  Integrates seamlessly into Apache through an Extended API (EAPI)
   o  Full Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) support
   o  Support for the OpenSSL+RSAref US-situation
   o  Advanced pass-phrase handling for private keys
   o  X.509 certificate based authentication for both client and server
   o  X.509 certificate revocation list (CRL) support
   o  Support for per-URL renegotiation of SSL handshake parameters
   o  Support for explicit seeding of the PRNG from external sources
   o  Additional boolean-expression based access control facility
   o  Backward compatibility to other Apache SSL solutions
   o  Inter-process SSL session cache
   o  Powerful dedicated SSL engine logging facility
   o  Simple and robust application to Apache source trees
   o  Fully integrated into the Apache 1.3 configuration mechanism
   o  Additional integration into the Apache Autoconf-style Interface (APACI)
   o  Assistance in X.509v3 certificate generation (both RSA and DSA)

 For more details about mod_ssl please visit its net locations under:
 http://www.modssl.org/
  ftp://ftp.modssl.org/