Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Randy Gibson <rg...@basis.com> on 2005/05/04 23:41:11 UTC

usr_prefs not working

Hello,

I just upgraded my spamassassin from v3.0.1 to v3.0.3 and know my
"user_prefs" don't appear to
being read.  I have a couple of test rules I use to verify if the local.cf
or user_prefs are be
read and local.cf works but user_prefs don't.

I'm using spamassassin on a redhat box and using spamd. Any thoughts would
be appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

~ Randy

Re: usr_prefs not working

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> I just upgraded my spamassassin from v3.0.1 to v3.0.3 and know my
> "user_prefs" don't appear to
> being read.  I have a couple of test rules I use to verify if the local.cf
> or user_prefs are be
> read and local.cf works but user_prefs don't.

After checking any upgrade info to make sure you haven't made any mistakes,
it may be Bugzilla time.  I'm pretty sure the problems with ignoring the
scores on user rules are supposed to be FIXED in 3.0.3, not broken worse.

First thing: spamassassin --lint.  Make sure it isn't barfing on something
in user_prefs.

        Loren

Re: usr_prefs not working

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 05:41 PM 5/4/2005, Randy Gibson wrote:
>I just upgraded my spamassassin from v3.0.1 to v3.0.3 and know my
>"user_prefs" don't appear to
>being read.  I have a couple of test rules I use to verify if the local.cf
>or user_prefs are be
>read and local.cf works but user_prefs don't.
>
>I'm using spamassassin on a redhat box and using spamd. Any thoughts would
>be appreciated,

do you have "allow_user_rules" in your local.cf?

If not, any rules in user_prefs will be ignored, by design. Allowing
untrusted users to create rules with regexes can be a slight risk in a
spamd environment, so disallowing this by default is an intentional
security feature that's been present in SA for a long time.

Also, be sure to run spamassassin --lint to check that the files don't have
any parsing errors. Lint should run and exit without any output if all is well.