Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2004/07/24 01:53:27 UTC

static mp2 nuances

Thanks Philippe for committing the static build patch.

There are a few issues that need to be polished. One is the docs ambiguety:

=head4 MP_USE_DSO

Build mod_perl as a DSO (I<mod_perl.so>). This is the default. It'll
be turned off if C<MP_USE_STATIC=1> is used.

=head4 MP_USE_STATIC

Build static mod_perl (I<mod_perl.a>). This is the default. It'll be
turned off if C<MP_USE_DSO=1> is used.

C<MP_USE_DSO> and C<MP_USE_STATIC> are both enabled by default. So
mod_perl is built once as I<mod_perl.a> and I<mod_perl.so>, but
afterwards you can choose which of the two to use.

mod_perl can't be built as static and dynamic at the same time. It's
correct for the library, not for the 'whole thing'.

Re: static mp2 nuances

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
>> There are a few issues that need to be polished. One is the docs
>> ambiguety:

>> =head4 MP_USE_DSO
>>
>> Build mod_perl as a DSO (I<mod_perl.so>). This is the default. It'll
>> be turned off if C<MP_USE_STATIC=1> is used.
>>
>> =head4 MP_USE_STATIC
>>
>> Build static mod_perl (I<mod_perl.a>). This is the default. It'll be
>> turned off if C<MP_USE_DSO=1> is used.
>>
>> C<MP_USE_DSO> and C<MP_USE_STATIC> are both enabled by default. So
>> mod_perl is built once as I<mod_perl.a> and I<mod_perl.so>, but
>> afterwards you can choose which of the two to use.
>>
>> mod_perl can't be built as static and dynamic at the same time. It's
>> correct for the library, not for the 'whole thing'.
>>
> Yes, I am aware of that but I am not sure what you'd like changed ?

I don't know, that's why I was asking for comments.

Re: static mp2 nuances

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:

> Thanks Philippe for committing the static build patch.

It was long due, so...