Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by entdeveloper <ca...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/26 18:51:24 UTC

ord/rord with a function

Is it possible for ord/rord to work with a function? I'm attempting to use
rord with a spatial function like the following as a bf:

bf=rord(geodist())

If there's no way for this to work, is there a way to simulate the same
behavior?

For some background, I have two sets of documents: one set applies to a
location in NY and another in LA. I want to boost documents that are closer
to where the user is searching from. But I only need these sets to be ranked
1 & 2. In other words, the actual distance should not be used to boost the
documents, just if you are closer or farther. We may add more locations in
the future, so I'd like to be able to rank the locations from closest to
furthest.

I need some way to rank the distances, and rord is the right idea, but
doesn't seem to work with functions.

I'm running Solr 3.4, btw.

Re: ord/rord with a function

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Would sorting by distance work or are you just looking to say something
"only give me all the places in New York"? Might frange work as
a filter query in that case where the distance you provide is XXX
kilometers so you're effectively excluding everything over, say, 160
kilometers from your city-of-choice?

But from the documentation here:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FunctionQuery#ord
I really don't think ord or rord are going to do
what you want anyway.

Best
Erick