Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Richard Whittaker <ri...@avits.ca> on 2013/03/06 02:59:41 UTC

SSL question.

Hi.

I have an issue because I am cheap. lol

I have taken advantage of GoDaddy's ultra cheap SSL cert offer, and have
obtained 3 SSL certs. Unfortunately, the offer didn't extend to wildcard
certs.

I only have one IP address, is it still possible to bind these certs to
that one interface, or will that not work?

I.E. I have one IP, and I would like to serve https://site1.domain.com,
and https://site2.domain.com from that IP through traffic server. Do I
need to move the SSL certs inside, and just share the re-direction from
TS?...

Thanks,
Richard.

--
Alberni Valley IT Services

Re: SSL question.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 3/6/13 8:03 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 06.03.2013 15:52, schrieb Igor Galić:

Not to start a war, but that this is basically what I said. Considering that
he's getting cheap certificates already, SNI might be an option for him. I
never said it was a generally acceptable solution, I'm well aware that
roughly 25% of the OS's today are Windows/XP, and presumably a large portion
of those use IE on this platform.

-- Leif

Re: SSL question.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 06.03.2013 15:52, schrieb Igor Galić:

finally you CAN NOT use SNI these days if you have a
publci server with any business on it, details does
not matter, WinXP is supported and heavily in use
in companies and any application based on MS technology
will fail too on WinXP

i am a 100% linux user but that is it

Re: SSL question.

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> Am 06.03.2013 03:06, schrieb Leif Hedstrom:
> > This will work, but only with browsers that supports SNI. This
> > particularly excludes all versions of IE on
> > Windows/XP. If you can live with that, then it will work fine,
> > since most other modern browsers
>
> wrong - no browser on Windows XP supports SNI
> because the OS libraries does not support it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication#No_support

Only browsers on XP that *actually* *use* Microsoft's SSL libs do
not have support for SNI.

Chrome and Firefox use NSS, Opera uses their own SSL engine.

-- i
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: SSL question.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: SSL question.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 08.03.2013 08:51, schrieb Igor Galić:
>> SNI seems to work very well, and for those people that insist on
>> using
>> IE and XP, they will just have to go on without SSL..
>
> Those who insist on XP+IE probably don't really care about SSL
> or the security it provides anyway ;)

as user you are not in the position to care in most cases
fact is if you are hosting a website and redirect to https://
you will lock out any user which have not the chice and most
of these are business users

> But that reminds me: There are still a number of low level APIs
> and libraries that do not support SNI: Off the top of my head
> JDK6 comes to my mind...

and that is why you can SNI only use for your pet's website but
nut if you hosting anything which is business relevant

Re: SSL question.

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

--
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: SSL question.

Posted by Richard Whittaker <ri...@avits.ca>.

Re: SSL question.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 3/5/13 6:59 PM, Richard Whittaker wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have an issue because I am cheap. lol
>
> I have taken advantage of GoDaddy's ultra cheap SSL cert offer, and have
> obtained 3 SSL certs. Unfortunately, the offer didn't extend to wildcard
> certs.

Odd that they didn't let you put all 3 names into one cert, they certainly
supports that.

> I only have one IP address, is it still possible to bind these certs to
> that one interface, or will that not work?

This will work, but only with browsers that supports SNI. This particularly
excludes all versions of IE on Windows/XP. If you can live with that, then
it will work fine, since most other modern browsers / OS's handles SNI just
fine. I'm not sure exactly which version of ATS supports SNI, but I'm
guessing v3.2.4 is what you should deploy.

Cheers,

-- Leif

RE: SSL question.

Posted by Aleksandrs Andrijekno <in...@eurohosting.lv>.
Hi,

You can really cheap wildcard SSL from this guys:
http://www.gogetssl.com/wildcard-ssl-certificates/comodo-positive-ssl-wildca
rd/