Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Renato <we...@cienciapura.com.br> on 2002/02/07 19:14:59 UTC

MBeans dev

Hi all,

I've seen a lot of development regarding MBean lately and I'm a little lost
about what are the new functionality that Catalina will have. Could
somebody explain what MBean are ( and for what they are useful ) or give
some directives, where I can read about ? ( I know there is plenty of
material about Message Beans in J2EE but I imagine these MBeans for Tomcat
are somehow different, aren't they ? )

Thanks for the patience
Renato.

Re: MBeans dev

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Petr Jiricka wrote:

> Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 12:05:36 +0100
> From: Petr Jiricka <pe...@czech.sun.com>
> To: Tomcat Developers List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: MBeans dev

We're actually building one of these ourselves ... the "admin" webapp in
the nightly builds.  I suspect it will not be the only one.

> Regarding JMX, I believe that the J2EE Management APIs (JSR 77) are based on
> JMX, right ? So supporting JMX is a prerequisite for supporting the J2EE
> management stuff.

Yes, that (based on Mbeans) is the current direction that JSR 77 is going.

> Petr

Craig

Re: MBeans dev

Posted by Petr Jiricka <pe...@czech.sun.com>.
> Thank you for the explanation of that.  Very cool deal.  The server.xml is
> pretty ugly to edit manually.

It is, but my guess is that soon tools will start to appear that will allow
you to edit server.xml through a visual GUI.

Regarding JMX, I believe that the J2EE Management APIs (JSR 77) are based on
JMX, right ? So supporting JMX is a prerequisite for supporting the J2EE
management stuff.

Petr

MBean

Re: MBeans dev

Posted by David Graff <ph...@mindspring.com>.
Craig,

Re: MBeans dev

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Renato wrote:

> Date: Thu,  7 Feb 2002 18:14:59
> From: Renato <we...@cienciapura.com.br>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: MBeans dev
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've seen a lot of development regarding MBean lately and I'm a little lost
> about what are the new functionality that Catalina will have. Could
> somebody explain what MBean are ( and for what they are useful ) or give
> some directives, where I can read about ? ( I know there is plenty of
> material about Message Beans in J2EE but I imagine these MBeans for Tomcat
> are somehow different, aren't they ? )

The "MBean" that is referred to here is a "managed bean" from the Java
Management Extensions (JMX) APIs.  You can read about it (and get the
spec) from <http://java.sun.com/products/JavaManagement>.

The basic idea is that each component object within Catalina (Engine,
Host, Context, Valve, Logger, Realm, and so on) has a corresponding MBean
through which it can be created, configured, and removed on-the-fly.  In
addition, the JMX APIs have the notion of being able to save the
configuration state in such a way that it can be reused the next time you
start up the server.

For Tomcat, we're using the JMX APIs in the administration webapp that
will, when it's done, let you never have to touch the server.xml file
again -- all of the configuration can be done interactively through a
tool.  The fact that we're doing it all through MBeans also means that
managing a Tomcat 4 instance can also be easily built in to any other
management tool that knows how to speak JMX.

> Thanks for the patience
> Renato.

Craig McClanahan