Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Colleen Dick <pl...@peak.org> on 2006/11/02 00:47:41 UTC

can't commit from one working copy

 I have several team members.  We are elaborating a web application.
Each developer has their own private deployment and we
all commit to the repository from our remote machines just fine.
Recently I needed to do several emergency tweaks on the
working copy that is the live online copy.  I would like to commit
these tweaks to the repository (which by the way lives on the same
physical machine as the live online deployment) When I try to commit
I get
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Can't create directory
'/back2/svn/tixrus/db/transactions/674-1.txn': Permission denied

svn is owned by the svn user and so is the directory tixrus
I guess when people commit remotely they go in as that.
Should I become the svn user whenever I commit to the repository that
is on the same box?  I can do that.  I don't want to chown anything
because I'm afraid I'll lock all my developers out.

Re: can't commit from one working copy

Posted by Colleen Dick <pl...@peak.org>.
On the server box I have always just used file but I have never tried
to do a commit from there before.    From the remotes
obviously we can't do that so we are already using svn protocol and I
know for a fact that the svnserve process is already set up and runs
under xinetd.  I agree this is a better solution.... just haven't
thought about svn admin for a while, proof that it's a good tool.  I
control the box so I will take care of it.  Thanks...

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: Files do not show up and do not update

Posted by Colleen Dick <pl...@peak.org>.
Well I got all the files back into B's working copy by having A save a
safe copy, then deleting all them through svn and re adding them.
It remains to be seen whether we lost any work.

Files do not show up and do not update

Posted by Colleen Dick <pl...@peak.org>.
We have a subdirectory in our project called classes.

A lot of work was done by A and then the developer committed,
with some difficulty and error messages, he says.  I don't know exactly
what he did to get his stuff up to the repository.

Later B wanted to update a long-dormant copy to pull all the new work.

The working directory at B now only has one file in the classes
subdirectory and it's supposed to have 8 or 9 important base classes for
the app to run, so naturally their working copy is badly broken.

The one at A is working, at least in the sense  it has all the necessary
classes in its working directory and loads them.

The developer at  B said she saw a  "D classes" go by during the
update.

At  either A or B, if you go into classes directory of the working copy
and do a "svn list" only the one file lists; however, all the class
files currently exist in the working copy at location A.  If you attempt
to do a "svn add" at  A of any of the files that seem to be missing from
the repository it says they are already under version control.  If you
attempt to commit the individual files it just pops back with nothing.
If you attempt to update any of the individual files at location B
nothing happens.  Bottom line: location A appears to have the only copy
of some of the new work and the repository doesn't and no one else can
get it

I'm sure I can fix this if A saves his current stuff, then everybody
reverts back a few versions and A just re-adds his stuff manually.
Is there an easier way to troubleshoot this issue?  And how can I make
a best guess as to what back version we should all resynch on?