Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by glenn bech <gl...@webstep.no> on 2006/01/16 14:14:17 UTC

multirefs

I have two different web services (1 & 2) and two different clients (A & B).
When Client A or B runs against service 1, they create a request XML that
looks like the one below (with "multiref's"). This is not the case when
client A or B runs against service 2.

In a but clueless and would really like an answert to why this is happening,
and- or directions to documentation on the "multiref" syntax, and when and
why Axis uses it.

My WSDL can be found at
http://www.glennbech.com/java/wsdl/abstract.wsdl

Best regards!

-- 8 <-- This is the serialized request message

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="-8"?>
  <soapenv:Body>
    <Create
soapenv:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
      <arg0 href="#id0"/>
    </Create>
    <multiRef id="id0" soapenc:root="0"
xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
      <ItemType xsi:type="xsd:string">itemtype@computer</ItemType>
      <ItemID href="#id1"/>
      <ItemAttributes href="#id2"/>
    </multiRef>
    <multiRef id="id2" soapenc:root="0"
xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
      <CreateItemDefinition href="#id3"/>
    </multiRef>
    <multiRef id="id1" soapenc:root="0"
xsi:type="xsd:int"
xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">1</multiRef>
    <multiRef id="id3" soapenc:root="0"
xsi:type="ns1:CreateComputerParameters"
xmlns:ns1="http://www.glennbech.com/abstractiontest/abstract/"
xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
      <cpu_speed href="#id4"/>
      <mb_ram href="#id5"/>
    </multiRef>
    <multiRef id="id4" soapenc:root="0"
xsi:type="xsd:int"
xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">3600</multiRef>
    <multiRef id="id5" soapenc:root="0"
xsi:type="xsd:int"
xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">1024</multiRef>
  </soapenv:Body>
Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
XML documents are flat; object graphs are multi-dimensional. Multirefs
provide a convenient way to represent object graphs in XML. And SOAP
encoding was designed to support serialization of object graphs.

But keep in mind: SOAP is a document-oriented messaging system. It is not a
distributed object system. You really shouldn't be asking SOAP to serialize
object graphs.

Yes -- using RPC/encoded, you can make SOAP work like a distributed object
system, but you will almost certainly encounter interoperability challenges
if you attempt to communicate with other languages. If you are communicating
only with other Java applications, then why not just use RMI? SOAP is much
slower, and it imposes a bunch of unnatural constraints on you (e.g., don't
use Collections).

But if your goal is to enable heterogenous communications, it's much better
to bite the bullet and deal with the fact that you shouldn't be trying to
make other languages deal with Java-specific constructs. Instead you should
adjust your application interfaces so that they can deal with flat documents
rather than object graphs.

In other words, don't use multirefs.

Anne

Re: multirefs