Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by lou ql <lo...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/18 04:05:35 UTC

Calc: can the whole row be highlighted automatically when focus on a cell?

I am editing a calc file, and have to change data in discontinuous cells
row by row.

In order to avoid changing data of another row, I follow the steps for each:
1. edit data in one cell, e.g. C111
2. highlight the whole row manually to help me to locate the the next cell
that need modify, e.g. F111
4. repeat highlight then select till this row finished.

It will be helpful if the row can be highlighted automatically when I focus
or edit a cell...

Lou QingLe

Re: can the whole row be highlighted automatically when focus on a cell?

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
On 18/10/2012 2:10 PM, Charles and Erika wrote:
> Why are you sending this stuff to me? Charles
Because we thought you will be interested in it.
Otherwise you should unsubscribe.

Posted by Charles and Erika <ya...@nornet.on.ca>.

Re: Calc: can the whole row be highlighted automatically when focus on a cell?

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
	Hi,

On 18.10.2012 04:05, lou ql wrote:
> I am editing a calc file, and have to change data in discontinuous cells
> row by row.
>
> In order to avoid changing data of another row, I follow the steps for each:
> 1. edit data in one cell, e.g. C111
> 2. highlight the whole row manually to help me to locate the the next cell
> that need modify, e.g. F111
> 4. repeat highlight then select till this row finished.
>
> It will be helpful if the row can be highlighted automatically when I focus
> or edit a cell...

In Draw/Impress there is a feature called 'Guides when moving'
(view/toolbars/options, on options toolbar press 'guide when moving').
It shows help lines beyond the selection when moving it; background is
to have easier optical alignments and hints at the rulers (if visible).

Something similar could be an option in calc: We already have the
selection represented by system selection color and transparence; with
an activated mode a 'cross' of even more transparent overlay could be
painted over the row/column where the cursor is.

Just my 2 cents...
Sincerely,
	Armin
--
ALG

Re: Calc: can the whole row be highlighted automatically when focus on a cell?

Posted by Charles and Erika <ya...@nornet.on.ca>.
Dont send it here .Chas
Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 05:06 18/10/2012 +0200, Haim (Howard) Roman wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 5:03 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
>>  At 10:05 18/10/2012 +0800, Lou QingLe wrote:
>>>I am editing a calc file, and have to change data in discontinuous
>>>cells  row by row.
>>>
>>>In order to avoid changing data of another row, I follow the steps for each:
>>>1. edit data in one cell, e.g. C111
>>>2. highlight the whole row manually to help me to locate the next
>>>cell that need modify, e.g. F111
>>>4. repeat highlight then select till this row finished.
>>>
>>>It will be helpful if the row can be highlighted automatically
>>>when I focus or edit a cell...
>>
>>Here's a workaround: when you have finished editing the first cell
>>in a row, instead of confirming your edit by pressing Enter, press
>>right-arrow.  This confirms the editing and moves focus along in
>>the same row.  Press right-arrow repeatedly until you reach the
>>next cell to be edited.  Repeat as necessary.
>>
>>If you wish, you can also confirm each edit by pressing the green
>>Accept tick mark next to the Input Line.  This confirms the edit
>>without moving focus away from the cell being edited, thus again
>>keeping focus in the same row.  Then use right-arrow as before.
>
>Regarding Brian's suggestion: you can configure your document so
>that ENTER moves the cursor right instead of down.

Indeed you can: go to Tools | Options... | OpenOffice.org Calc |
General | Input Settings | Press Enter to move selection:
Right.  (But that's configuring your installation, in fact, not just
the current document.)

Brian Barker

Re: Calc: can the whole row be highlighted automatically when focus on a cell?

Posted by "Haim (Howard) Roman" <ro...@jct.ac.il>.

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.

Please take me off list.

Posted by vince wimberley <vm...@cox.net>.

Posted by VA <cu...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by bob hake <bo...@centurytel.net>.

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 05:04 18/10/2012 +0200, Haim (Howard) Roman wrote:
>On 18/10/2012 1:05 PM, Lou QingLe wrote:
>>I am editing a calc file, and have to change data in discontinuous
>>cells row by row.
>>
>>In order to avoid changing data of another row, I follow the steps for each:
>>1. edit data in one cell, e.g. C111
>>2. highlight the whole row manually to help me to locate the next
>>cell that need modify, e.g. F111
>>4. repeat highlight then select till this row finished.
>>
>>It will be helpful if the row can be highlighted automatically when
>>I focus or edit a cell...
>
>Is there a way to select some sort of table format so that, e.g.,
>every 3rd row is a different color?  That would help you keep track.

Yes:
o Select the relevant material.
o Go To Format | AutoFormat... and select a suitable format - perhaps Yellow?
o To avoid changing the formatting of the cells in other ways, click
More and remove the ticks under Formatting from everything except Pattern.
o After you have finished editing, select the material and go to
Format | Default Formatting.

Alternatively:
o Apply different background colours to two or more (probably more) rows.
o Select the coloured rows.
o Double-click the Format Paintbrush in the Standard toolbar.
o Drag the (paint bucket) cursor down additional rows to repeat the
pattern of coloured rows.
o Again, use Format | Default Formatting to remove the striping after use.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Calc: can the whole row be highlighted automatically when focus on a cell?

Posted by "Haim (Howard) Roman" <ro...@jct.ac.il>.
Is there a way to select some sort of table format so that, e.g., every 3rd
row is a different color?  That would help you keep track.

Regarding Martin's suggestion of filtering:
(1) you could add a column at the beginning that is simply row number.
That would be easy to fill in.  And that would make filtering easy.
(2) when filtering, you could show a small number of rows.  That would make
keeping track of which row you're on easier.

Haim (Howard) Roman
Computer Center, Jerusalem College of Technology
Phone: 052-8-592-599 (6022 from within Machon Lev)

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.