Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Kien Nguyen <so...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/13 16:38:17 UTC

Using Solr for searching in a social network

Hi everyone,

I'm building a social network site and I need to build a search module,
which is someway similar to Facebook Search.

Say this module can search people by their names, based on the following
priority levels:

- My friends: has the 1st priority (highest)
- Friends of my friends, or anyone who is someway related to me: has the 2nd
priority
- Everyone else on the network: has the 3rd priority (lowest)

The number of user will grow very big, so I cannot flatten data of users
along with their friends and importing all of them into Solr.

Can Solr help me to solve this problem ?

If I have all necessary services to get friend list of a user (the 1st
priority), or get list of friends of my friends (the 2nd priority), can Solr
use these external data sources for searching?

Please help me.

Thanks and regards,
Nguyen Trung Kien