Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Vincent Stoessel <vi...@xaymaca.com> on 2002/10/11 16:42:28 UTC

OT : javascript revival?

Maybe because I've done mostly server side stuff but it seems to me that
Javascript is more popular than ever. The mozilla project uses it with
cool XUL for the interface. And now JSF and EL it seems to be creeping
into my world. Ugh. I know the minimal amount of Javascript. What I want
to know from my java brethren is this: do I need to pick up the
definitive guide to javascript so I can leverage the full power of the
new technologies?
Thanks.
--
Vincent Stoessel
Linux Systems Developer

Re: OT : javascript revival?

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <vi...@users.sourceforge.net>.
JavaScript can also offload processing of the server, thus increasing
salability.
Ex: Dependent drop down lists in Struts could be javascript arrays, no
ping to server and a good practice.
Many other examples and rich GUI.

AOL 8 had Netscape 7 which is Mozilla 1, so there will be more modern
browses.
Also, other than JavaScript, check this:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/

.V

Re: OT : javascript revival?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Vincent Stoessel wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:42:28 -0400
> From: Vincent Stoessel <vi...@xaymaca.com>
> To: Struts Users <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: OT : javascript revival?
>
> Maybe because I've done mostly server side stuff but it seems to me that
> Javascript is more popular than ever. The mozilla project uses it with
> cool XUL for the interface. And now JSF and EL it seems to be creeping
> into my world. Ugh. I know the minimal amount of Javascript. What I want
> to know from my java brethren is this: do I need to pick up the
> definitive guide to javascript so I can leverage the full power of the
> new technologies?

It's pretty difficult to build a really high quality user interface
without some amount of JavaScript knowledge.  Even Struts has some support
for this already, in that it exposes all the event handler attributes
(onsubmit, onchange, ...) for you, plus the validator framework that can
generate client side validation functions for you.

For general net browsing with JavaScript enabled, I always use Mozilla
-- it's got a nice configuration option to turn off pop-ups for you.

> Thanks.
> --
> Vincent Stoessel
> Linux Systems Developer