Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Himanish Kushary <hi...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/17 21:36:17 UTC

Insert Overwrite Directory fails for multiple nested directory

Hi,

I am executing the command : insert overwrite directory
'/feed/daily/2011-07-16' select count(1) from distinctpacks; but am getting
the error

Failed with exception Unable to rename: ............
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.MoveTask

According to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-1975 the issue
should have been fixed as I am hive version > 0.8.0

I noticed that the insert overwrite works only for a single nested
directory for me.

Am I missing something ?

--
Thanks & Regards
Himanish

Re: Insert Overwrite Directory fails for multiple nested directory

Posted by Himanish Kushary <hi...@gmail.com>.
I found out that Hive can write into multi-level directory based on the
property hive.insert.into.multilevel.dirs

Using set hive.insert.into.multilevel.dirs=true; and then running the query
allowed me to create multi-level directory

This is available since 0.8.0 . Refer to

Posted by Vinod Singh <vi...@vinodsingh.com>.