Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Stacey <mi...@lexi.com> on 2001/04/18 13:15:47 UTC

IE problem or tomcat bug?

We've recently moved to a tomcat/apache server under linux using the
most recent release builds.  Some of our clients are experiencing
strange behavior, like getting the following stack trace to their
browser:

Tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:797) at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743) at
org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp13ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Ajp13ConnectionHandler.java:160)
at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:416) at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(THreadPool.java:498)
at java.lang.Thread.Run(Thread.java:484)

(may be incomplete; sent by a client in email since we cannot duplicate
the problem)

The common thread seems to be that they're using IE as the browser.  Is
this a known problem (thought I couldn't find it in the archives)?  Is
there some workaround?  Would backing off to ajp12 fix it (we never had
the problem with apache/jserv on NT)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-- Michael

Re: IE problem or tomcat bug?

Posted by Sam Newman <sa...@stamplets.com>.
We've seen the same version of MS products working very differently on
different OS's. Because allot of the abilities of win32 programs are
fullfilled by the inderlying win32 API's, ther're often subject to change
between different operating systems due to slightly different underlying
API's

The only way I could see the client causing a problem is byscrewing up the
request somehow, and it isn't being properly handled. You might want to
check the Apache logs and well as the tomcat logs. See if there are any
strange messages in access.log for example. I take it the problem context
hash debuing turned on? I would still suggest droping the mod_jk developers
a line, at least they can add it to thier bug database.

sam
Posted by Michael Stacey <mi...@lexi.com>.

Re: IE problem or tomcat bug?