Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Richard Wallace <rw...@thewallacepack.net> on 2006/04/20 19:49:20 UTC

[shale] JSF AJAX components using Shale

Hey everyone,

I hope you don't mind the cross post, but I just wanted to point this
out to everyone.

https://blueprints.dev.java.net/ajaxcomponents.html

The AJAX components use Dojo for the client-side and build on
Shale-remoting for the server-side.  I had a similar idea and was even
working on creating some components in my spare time, but hadn't gotten
this far.  I know there are also some components in MyFaces sandbox, but
I don't think those are as far along as these either.

Very cool and exciting stuff.  I especially like the AJAX fileupload and
the validator.  The progress bar is cool too, but I can't see any way to
use it in cases where the progress is indeterminate like processing a
credit card or some other task that you don't know how long it's going
to take.

Rich

Re: [shale] JSF AJAX components using Shale

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 4/20/06, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> [snip]
> What I don't like on that bean is, that it creates via
> javax.faces.context.ResponseWriter the markup (here a xml list). Just
> my $0.02

Just FYI, using a response writer is optional.  The handler function has the
responsibility to create the response -- whatever technique you want to use
is fine.  But if you *are* emitting dynamically constructed XML, response
writer is handy for the same reasons it is handy when writing a renderer.
Most importantly, it deals with all the stuff like embedded quote characters
in attribute values.

-Matthias

Craig

Re: [shale] JSF AJAX components using Shale

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Rich,

the screens of the ajax components from blueprints look interesting.
Using dojo on client sounds resonable. The state of dojo integration
is *early*, but on going.

Using Shale-Remoting on the server side is interesting. It allows you
to invoke an "action" method on a backing bean (aka view controller).

The given usecase example contains an url like
/dynamic/remoting$business/cityAndStateForZip.faces?zip=VALUE

Here, remoting$business is a backing bean and cityAndStateForZip is a
method which looks up the "zip" http parameter (see [1] for the bean code)

[1] http://tinyurl.com/jar73

--
Matthias Wessendorf
Aechterhoek 18