Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Ivan Junckes Filho <iv...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/10 00:14:07 UTC

TomEE Documentation Suggestion

Hello TomEE developers,

Today TomEE documentation is spread across multiple places, some are not up
to date anymore and some are just really hard to find on the website. It is
easier to find something on google than on http://tomee.apache.org.

I would like to suggest that TomEE uses www.gitbook.com, and we migrate
there the relevant documentation. Updating a website with doc is ok, but I
think it will make the job way easier and will open the gates for
contributors.

All of us here are interested in TomEE documentation to get better and I
think that is a good start, we will not need to keep updating the website,
maintain pages etc we'll just need to use centralized tool.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Please see JNoSQL documentation as a reference:
https://www.gitbook.com/book/jnosql/jnosql-book/details
https://github.com/jnoSQL/jnosql-book

Thank you.

+1? -1?

Re: TomEE Documentation Suggestion

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
BTW added a word on the website on the website:
http://tomee.apache.org/community/index.html

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivan Junckes Filho <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivan Junckes Filho <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivan Junckes Filho <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Whitmore <tw...@bravurasolutions.com>.
Hi Romain, Ivan,

I agree with Romain and raised the suggestion of improving doc a month or two ago. At the time I offered a few hours to help -- am probably busy for another month now but do see documentation as an important factor.

My feeling would be that content is more important than tools -- I would see a librarian exercise to collect relevant docs and make them accessible from the new site, as the most relevant. This I believe would give the most easy and worthwhile improvement.

My suggestion to move forward:
- collate docs from "old" openejb.apache.org site;  get these reviewed and edit to remove outdated material.
	- reviewing/ marking of what's outdated & what can be corrected to be delegated to appropriate people.
- make all docs accessible from Documentation areas on new tomee.apache.org site;
- collect prioritized suggestions as to what documentation gaps remain.
- (probably also)  for those who found the old site by accident, add links from old site to new Documentation areas on tomee.apache.org site.

This should make it possible to cheaply & easily gather all useful material from existing docs, consolidate the docs, and produce a shortlist of doc to fill in.

[...]

we just revamped the website with a new structure, I know it is not perfect but a step to something better. Tooling is also way easier now to get started with. So question is: what would bring gitbook which would make it better we don't have already? If github we can ask infra to proxy our site repo on ASF github org.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ivan,