Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Nathan Marz <na...@rapleaf.com> on 2009/03/04 00:25:33 UTC

Mappers become less utilized as time goes on?

I'm seeing some really bizarre behavior from Hadoop 0.19.1. I have a
fairly large job with about 29000 map tasks and 72 reducers. there are
304 map task slots in the cluster. When the job starts, it runs 304
map tasks at a time. As time goes on the number of map tasks run
concurrently drops. For at least half of the execution exactly 152
mappers were run at a time. Towards, the end , when there were only
100 or so tasks remaining, the number of concurrent mappers quickly
fell to 2 at a time, bringing the end of the map phase to a crawl.
This was the only job running on the cluster. Has anyone else seen
behavior like this?

Re: Mappers become less utilized as time goes on?

Posted by Pedro Vivancos <pe...@vocali.net>.
I have the same problem... Please let me know if you solve it and how to.

Thanks.

Posted by Nathan Marz <na...@rapleaf.com>.

Posted by Runping Qi <ru...@gmail.com>.