Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Hyde <bh...@gensym.com> on 1998/01/27 15:54:17 UTC

little chunks

My customers often generate reports and these can take a
substantial amount of time to compute.  So they like the page
to dribble out on the user's screen as the computation proceeds.
In my current server I keep a timer that flushes the pending
output (no matter how slight) at regular intervals.  I put that
in when they complained about the absence of "dribble."
Presumably I can do that in the current Apache API using
the buffer flushing coupled with manly efforts to manage the
I/O blocking in my module?

   - ben h.

Re: little chunks

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
See mod_cgi in 1.3 and the tricks it uses to cause the output to be
unbuffered... then each bwrite() includes an implicit flush.  Or you could
just bflush() explicitly.

There's no convienient way in apache to have multiple outstanding timers,
yet.  So if you want to do this in a time-based manner then you'll have to
kludge up things... look at how main/rfc1413.c manages its own timer,
that's the best we've got so far.

Dean