Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org> on 2004/04/14 17:45:43 UTC

Re: read_scoreonly_config - how to clear previous user settings??

Theo Van Dinter wrote:

> In my tests, freeze/thaw seems to work nicely, and I've implemented it in
> my new spamd code.  I haven't quite figured out where it'll fit in an API.
> If it goes into the M::SA modules, it'll be a generic requirement, which
> I don't want.  But leaving it in spamd by itself means that third-party
> daemons have to implement it for themselves. :(

Helped along by Theos spamd changes, I've implemented the proposed freeze
thaw in spampd and it works here too. Seems to use quite a bit of memory
though, looks like 4-5M.
I have yet to study the performance-impact in thawing a Conf object, but
given that I really need the correct per-user behaviour, it's not overly
important.
Many thanks for the help, guys!

/Per Jessen, Zurich

Re: read_scoreonly_config - how to clear previous user settings??

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
Per Jessen wrote:
> I have yet to study the performance-impact in thawing a Conf object, but
> given that I really need the correct per-user behaviour, it's not overly
> important.

Just a quick follow-up - instead of freeze/thaw I tried using store
retrieve, which cuts down on the memory footprint.
The file is written once and then read many times by a number of children,
and I can just let the file-system cache it as it sees fit.
Alternatively, I tried writing the file to /dev/shm/, but I haven't seen any
major differences when compared to writing to disk.

/Per Jessen, Zurich