Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Alberts <ta...@msiscales.com> on 2006/11/15 21:19:40 UTC

Manager deploy uploaded war - doesn't use the /WEB-INF/context.xml

I'm have a tomcat5.5 system running and seems to be working absolutely
fine with one exception.

When I deploy my .war files with the Manager application it seems to
completely ignore the /WEB-INF/context.xml file.  What do I do?  My
context.xml file is in the .war file and contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context path="/servlet/path/to/myapp" />

Re: Manager deploy uploaded war - doesn't use the /WEB-INF/context.xml

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
The path attribute is ignored in favor of the name of the war file.  The
context.xml is still consulted for JNDI resource definitions, etc., ...

--David

Tim Alberts wrote:

> Hassan Schroeder wrote:
>
>> On 11/15/06, Tim Alberts <ta...@msiscales.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When I deploy my .war files with the Manager application it seems to
>>> completely ignore the /WEB-INF/context.xml file.  What do I do?
>>

>> 1) put it in META-INF/context.xml where it belongs :-)  and
>

> Sorry, I typed the email too quick.  It is in META-INF/context.xml
>

>>> <Context path="/servlet/path/to/myapp" />
>>

>> 2) drop the path attribute -- it's irrelevant and ignored, since the
>>    path is derived from the name of the WAR file.
>>
>> HTH!
>
> If it is ignored, how can it be specified when uploading a war file
> via the manager?

=======================================
David Smith
Network Operations Supervisor
Department of Entomology
College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Cornell University
2132 Comstock Hall
Ithaca, NY  14853
Phone: 607.255.9571
Fax: 607.255.0939

Re: Manager deploy uploaded war - doesn't use the /WEB-INF/context.xml

Posted by Tim Alberts <ta...@msiscales.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Tim Alberts [mailto:talberts@msiscales.com]
>> Subject: Re: Manager deploy uploaded war - doesn't use the
>> /WEB-INF/context.xml
>>
>> However it's not going well.  I renamed the 'app.war' file as
>> 'path#to#myapp#app.war' and the Manager application took it
>> and said it was fine.
>>

> The trick with the #-symbol in the path works when you put your
> <Context> element in an appropriately named .xml file in
> conf/[engine]/[host].  As a temporary workaround, you might want to try
> that.
>
>  - Chuck

The server is doing this?

RE: Manager deploy uploaded war - doesn't use the /WEB-INF/context.xml

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Tim Alberts [mailto:talberts@msiscales.com]
> Subject: Re: Manager deploy uploaded war - doesn't use the
> /WEB-INF/context.xml
>
> The server seems to be doing this?  I have a file in conf/ [engine] /
> [host] named with the # symbol 'path#to#myapp#app.xml and it
> contains the context element with the correct path 'path/to/myapp'.

There should be no path attribute in a <Context> element unless the
element is within server.xml.  The one you're referring to in
conf/[engine]/[host] is just a copy of what's in META-INF/context.xml,
renamed to the path of the app during deployment.  I haven't yet chased
down exactly when Tomcat copies the context.xml from META-INF into
conf/[engine]/[host]/[appname].xml.

> I also have the path#to#myapp#app.war in the webapps directory
> so it uploaded, but it is not unpacking the war into ANY location.

This has nothing to do with unpacking WARs.

For the moment, you may have to keep your app outside of Tomcat's
webapps directory, and explicitly place your <Context> element - with
docBase - into conf/[engine]/[host]/path#to#myapp.xml (not
path#to#mayapp#app.xml).  Tomcat 5.5.20 does not seem to like .war names
with #-symbols in them.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Manager deploy uploaded war - doesn't use the /WEB-INF/context.xml

Posted by Tim Alberts <ta...@msiscales.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Tim Alberts [mailto:talberts@msiscales.com]
>> Subject: Re: Manager deploy uploaded war - doesn't use the
>> /WEB-INF/context.xml
>>
>> However it's not going well.  I renamed the 'app.war' file as
>> 'path#to#myapp#app.war' and the Manager application took it
>> and said it was fine.
>>

> The trick with the #-symbol in the path works when you put your
> <Context> element in an appropriately named .xml file in
> conf/[engine]/[host].  As a temporary workaround, you might want to try
> that.
>
>  - Chuck

The server seems to be doing this?  I have a file in conf/ [engine] /
[host]  named with the # symbol 'path#to#myapp#app.xml and it contains
the context element with the correct path 'path/to/myapp'.  I also have
the path#to#myapp#app.war in the webapps directory so it uploaded, but
it is not unpacking the war into ANY location.

It try to avoid posting server logs, but here it is...as you can see the
name of the application is UnitsConverter.war and the desired context
path is 'engineering/technical/servlet'.  It seems the pertinent part is
the first SEVERE exception java.net.MalformedURLException.

15-Nov-06 1:27:14 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
INFO: Deploying web application archive engineering#technical#servlet#UnitsConverter.war
15-Nov-06 1:27:14 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig init
SEVERE: Exception fixing docBase: {0}
java.net.MalformedURLException: no !/ in spec
   at java.net.URL.<init>(libgcj.so.7rh)
   at java.net.URL.<init>(libgcj.so.7rh)
   at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.fixDocBase(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.init(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.init(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(libgcj.so.7rh)
   at org.apache.commons.modeler.BaseModelMBean.invoke(jakarta-commons-modeler-1.1.jar.so)
   at mx4j.server.interceptor.InvokerMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(mx4j-3.0.1.jar.so)
   at mx4j.server.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(mx4j-3.0.1.jar.so)
   at mx4j.server.interceptor.SecurityMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(mx4j-3.0.1.jar.so)
   at mx4j.server.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(mx4j-3.0.1.jar.so)
   at mx4j.server.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(mx4j-3.0.1.jar.so)
   at mx4j.server.interceptor.ContextClassLoaderMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(mx4j-3.0.1.jar.so)
   at mx4j.server.MX4JMBeanServer.invoke(mx4j-3.0.1.jar.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.manager.ManagerServlet.check(catalina-manager-5.5.17.jar.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.doPost(catalina-manager-5.5.17.jar.so)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(tomcat5-servlet-2.4-api-5.5.17.jar.so)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(tomcat5-servlet-2.4-api-5.5.17.jar.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(tomcat-http-5.5.17.jar.so)
   at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(tomcat-http-5.5.17.jar.so)
   at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(tomcat-util-5.5.17.jar.so)
   at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(tomcat-util-5.5.17.jar.so)
   at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(tomcat-util-5.5.17.jar.so)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(libgcj.so.7rh)
15-Nov-06 1:27:15 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: HTMLManager: list: Listing contexts for virtual host 'localhost'
15-Nov-06 1:27:16 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext resourcesStart
SEVERE: Error starting static Resources
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base /usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/engineering/technical/servlet/UnitsConverter does not exist or is not a readable directory
   at org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.setDocBase(naming-resources-5.5.17.jar.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.resourcesStart(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.backgroundProcess(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(libgcj.so.7rh)
15-Nov-06 1:27:16 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error in resourceStart()
15-Nov-06 1:27:16 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error getConfigured
15-Nov-06 1:27:16 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/engineering/technical/servlet/UnitsConverter] startup failed due to previous errors
15-Nov-06 1:27:16 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext stop
INFO: Container org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/engineering/technical/servlet/UnitsConverter] has not been started
15-Nov-06 1:27:20 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: HTMLManager: list: Listing contexts for virtual host 'localhost'
15-Nov-06 1:27:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: HTMLManager: start: Starting web application at '/engineering/technical/servlet/UnitsConverter'
15-Nov-06 1:27:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext resourcesStart
SEVERE: Error starting static Resources
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base /usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/engineering/technical/servlet/UnitsConverter does not exist or is not a readable directory
   at org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.setDocBase(naming-resources-5.5.17.jar.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.resourcesStart(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(catalina-5.5.17.jar.so9wef74.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.manager.ManagerServlet.start(catalina-manager-5.5.17.jar.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.start(catalina-manager-5.5.17.jar.so)
   at org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.doGet(catalina-manager-5.5.17.jar.so)
[...]
15-Nov-06 1:27:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error in resourceStart()
15-Nov-06 1:27:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error getConfigured
15-Nov-06 1:27:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/engineering/technical/servlet/UnitsConverter] startup failed due to previous errors
15-Nov-06 1:27:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext stop

Posted by Michael Hencin <mi...@edm-concepts.com>.
 I see, it's about time for me to get it updated to TC 5.5! Thanks as
always!

Mike

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Michael Hencin <mi...@edm-concepts.com>.
I should add, I am using TC 5.0.28. When I remove all those entries, my
context file now says;

<Context crossContext="true" privileged="true" >

But, when I deploy it with tomcat manager, I get this error.

FAIL - Encountered exception java.io.IOException:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Context path is required

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Michael Hencin <mi...@edm-concepts.com>.
Hello

I noticed this thread and have a follow up question. I know I can leave the
path out of my META-INF/context.xml file, but I still have a docbase, and
working dir values. In my original war file I have a context file with;

<Context crossContext="true" docBase="mywebapp" path="/mywebapp"
privileged="true" workDir="work\Catalina\localhost\mywebapp">

Is there some way I can "varibalize" the end of those to match the war file
name?

I find myself using the same war file, but renaming it, and dropping it into
webapps to create new instance. For instance, I rename the war file
mywebapp1, mywebapp2, etc...creating context for all those that I can
connect to.

BUT I then need to hand edit the xml in conf/Catalina/localhost/

To have;

<Context crossContext="true" docBase="mywebapp1" path="/mywebapp1"
privileged="true" workDir="work\Catalina\localhost\mywebapp1">

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Tim Alberts <ta...@msiscales.com>.
David Smith wrote:
> As I remember you wanted an involved path  -- ie
> path/to/my/webapp/my.jsp ...
>
> Use the path as the war's filename replacing all the / characters with #
> symbols.  Should work

Well before we continue, thank you for the help...

However it's not going well.  I renamed the 'app.war' file as
'path#to#myapp#app.war' and the Manager application took it and said it
was fine.  However the link shows as
'http://host:8080/path#to#myapp#app' and does not work.  When I go back
to the manager though, it shows 2 applications loaded.  The one I
mentioned and something that looks correct
'http://host:8080/path/to/myapp/app'.  Unfortunately, it says that it
can't load this application:

FAIL - Application at context path /path/to/myapp/app could not be started

This seems to be on the right track, but not quite there.

Re: Manager deploy uploaded war - doesn't use the /WEB-INF/context.xml

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

Posted by Tim Alberts <ta...@msiscales.com>.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Alberts <ta...@msiscales.com>.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Alberts <ta...@msiscales.com>.
Testing.  Seem to have some email problems...please disregard.