Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Firmin David <da...@capco.com> on 2001/04/26 10:46:58 UTC

Help me defend Struts taglibs!!!

Hi all,
Members of my team are gradually turning against using the Struts taglibs
and resorting to scriptlets.
IMHO: scriptlets bad,  tags good. I've had more experience in using them
than the others, but I'm finding it difficult to fight my corner in the face
of ever increasing skepticism.
Could anyone out there with really valid arguments as to why the use of the
Struts taglibs (especially the logic tags as they're getting the most grief
from my team at the moment) or taglibs in general is "good", or why the use
of scriptlets is "bad" help me out (in the interest of fairness, vice versa
arguments also happily received!)??

Thanks in advance

Regards
David

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely
for the addressee(s).
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not
an intended recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the
information contained in the email.
the views of Capco.

http://www.capco.com

Re: Help me defend Struts taglibs!!!

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Reuse.

Taglibs are callable routines for JSP pages.

Scriptlets tend to devolve into cut and paste spaghetti.

See also < http://www.servlets.com/soapbox/problems-jsp.html >

Firmin David wrote:

> Hi all,
> Members of my team are gradually turning against using the Struts taglibs
> and resorting to scriptlets.
> IMHO: scriptlets bad,  tags good. I've had more experience in using them
> than the others, but I'm finding it difficult to fight my corner in the face
> of ever increasing skepticism.
> Could anyone out there with really valid arguments as to why the use of the
> Struts taglibs (especially the logic tags as they're getting the most grief
> from my team at the moment) or taglibs in general is "good", or why the use
> of scriptlets is "bad" help me out (in the interest of fairness, vice versa
> arguments also happily received!)??
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Regards
> David

> The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely
> for the addressee(s).
> Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not
> an intended recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the
> information contained in the email.
> sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be
> the views of Capco.
>
> http://www.capco.com

-- Tel 716 737-3463.
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/

Re: Help me defend Struts taglibs!!!

Posted by Calvin Yu <cy...@yahoo.com>.
What are their arguments for using scriplets?

Calvin

http://auctions.yahoo.com/