Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Suriyanarayanan, Senthil Kumar" <se...@capitalone.com> on 2001/03/21 00:42:43 UTC

New to struts..

I'm new to struts and started using it (just deployed the struts-example). I
wonder whether we could
use struts out of the Web Application Archive, as an extracted one, without
any reference to web.xml and just
refer only the tld and struts.jar file. Are there any sample or simple
application demonstrating the above.

Thanks in advance
Senthil Kumar.S

The Information transmitted herewith is sensitive information intended only
for use to the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information is

Re: New to struts..

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Suriyanarayanan, Senthil Kumar wrote:

> I'm new to struts and started using it (just deployed the struts-example). I
> wonder whether we could
> use struts out of the Web Application Archive, as an extracted one, without
> any reference to web.xml and just
> refer only the tld and struts.jar file. Are there any sample or simple
> application demonstrating the above.

Struts critically depends on several things that are only configurable
in the web application deployment descriptor (web.xml) file, including:

* Configuration parameters for the controller servlet

* The servlet mapping mechanism used to map requests to the controller
  servlet (typically using the "*.do" extension mapping pattern)

* The fact that the controller servlet should be loaded at startup
  time, so that the application resources are initialized correctly

* References to the various tag library descriptor files (TLDs) that
  are used in this application

Struts depends on these features, so it is not practical to run a web
application without the web.xml deployment descriptor being properly
configured.

> Thanks in advance
> Senthil Kumar.S

Craig McClanahan