Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net> on 2011/08/17 14:10:00 UTC

Re: Faceted Search Patent Lawsuit

Le 17 août 2011 à 13:01, Robert Muir a écrit :

>> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 03:58:29PM -0400, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>> I know you mean well and are probably wondering what to do next [...]
>>
>> Still, a short heads-up like Johnson's would seem OK?
>> After all, this is of concern to us all.
>
> nothing to be concerned about, just a stupid patent troll, and I feel
> like this thread feeds him.
>
> just dont give this "company" any money, do your homework first!!!!

Robert,

I believe, precisely, the objective of such a thread is to be helped by knowledgeable techies into being able to do what you say.

If Johnson gave only 3 lines of details, such as claimed patent URLs or dates, we might easily be able to tell him the pointer of a publication that would discourage such patent-trolling.

paul

Re: Faceted Search Patent Lawsuit

Posted by LaMaze Johnson <la...@zesco.com>.
Walter Underwood wrote:

> I have no plan to look at the patents, but there is some serious prior art
> in faceted search. First, faceted classification for libraries was
> invented by S. R. Ranganathan in 1933. Computer search for libraries dates
> from the 1960's, probably. Combining the two is obvious, even back then.
>
> wunder

Adobe in their lawsuit is claiming that the patent is invalid.  I was amazed
that any such patent even existed on something so ubiquitous across the web.
Obviously a ruling on the merits of the patent are needed.  I guess this is
where patent lawyers come in to the equation.

Re: Faceted Search Patent Lawsuit

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
Hi,

Sorry for the top-quote: On a
mobile.

A discussion on the evils of
patents aside, shirley library
catalogues are prior art. I
remember such systems giving
lists of matches by category, if
maybe not counts.

Will look at the patent applications, but sheesh,
what a waste of time and resources.

Regards,
Gora

http://www.google.com/patents?id=oFwIAAAAEBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=6275821&hl=en&ei=57ZLTs7jHs3HsQKWvsjcCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA

http://www.whda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2011.5.12-MO-Ebay-v.-Parts-River.pdf

Posted by Darren Govoni <da...@ontrenet.com>.
patent rights only last 17 years then it is public domain.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.

Posted by Matt Shields <ma...@mattshields.org>.

Posted by LaMaze Johnson <la...@zesco.com>.