Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Arturas Mazeika <ma...@gmail.com> on 2020/12/11 10:41:19 UTC

impressive improvement in documentation

Hi Solr fans,

I am impressed to see that documentation of solr improves so nicely over
time. If one compares the 7.1 version of json api with the current (8.7)
one sees that additional fields are documented:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_7/json-request-api.html
Query parametersJSON field equivalent
q query
fq filter
start offset
rows limit
fl fields
sort sort
json.facet facet
json.<param_name> <param_name>
json.queries.<query_name> queries

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_1/json-request-api.html
Query parameters JSON field equivalent

query

fq

filter

offset

start

limit

rows

sort

sort

json.facet

facet

Now, the issue is that if one searches in google for json api, one is
redirected often to older versions of the documentation (7.1 as of time of
writing this email. This is not anything new. If I search for sql server of
postgres documentation, I get redirected to a more frequently browsed older
versions, however postgres immediately gives a possibility to jump to older
or newer version of the description from the same page:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/tutorial-window.html

with the following shown at the top of the page:
Documentation <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/> → PostgreSQL 9.1
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/index.html>
Supported Versions: Current
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/tutorial-window.html> (13
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/tutorial-window.html>) / 12
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/tutorial-window.html> / 11
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/tutorial-window.html> / 10
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/tutorial-window.html> / 9.6
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/tutorial-window.html> / 9.5
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/tutorial-window.html>
Development Versions: devel
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/tutorial-window.html>
Unsupported versions: 9.4
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/tutorial-window.html> / 9.3
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/tutorial-window.html> / 9.2
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/tutorial-window.html> / 9.1
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/tutorial-window.html> / 9.0
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/tutorial-window.html> / 8.4
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/tutorial-window.html>

I wonder, how hard would be to adjust the content management system, so one
can search with google, get redirected to solr page, and then with one
click away get to the latest version of documentation to learn, and jump
back to the installed version of solr, to see if the function maybe is not
yet available?

Cheers,
Arturas

Re: impressive improvement in documentation

Posted by S G <sg...@gmail.com>.
One good way to achieve this is to use an alias 'current'
So the 'current' replaces the latest version string like 7.1 and 8.6 in the
URL.
And Google will most likely show the current version on top always as it
will see it as changing frequently, so will think that it is something more
important to keep track of.