Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/28 16:56:19 UTC

Upgrading Hadoop dependencies and catching potential incompatibilities for HBase

HBase folks,

I'd like to work on upgrading some of the dependencies in Hadoop that are
starting to lag behind:

jackson2 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12705)
jaxb-api (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-13659)
commons-configuration (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-13660)
htrace (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-13661)

Some of these (chiefly jackson) are known to be high risk upgrades and have
caused problems for HBase in the past. I wanted to give you a heads up
about this work and coordinate with you to make sure I do all the testing
you think is necessary to discover any potential problems well in advance
of the breakages.

I was going to look at just running HBase's unit tests when built against
my Hadoop's trunk with my changes (Should I expect any problems here? Is
there a branch already focused on Hadoop 3 compatibility or anything?) and
Bigtop's integration tests too. Anything else you would add to this?

Re: Upgrading Hadoop dependencies and catching potential incompatibilities for HBase

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Looking at HADOOP-12705, it upgrades jackson2.version.
However, hbase only depends on jackson (1.9.13).

It seems the impact of upgrading jackson2 should be minimal on hbase.

Cheers

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.
> On Sep 28, 2016, at 9:56 AM, Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  and
> Bigtop's integration tests too. Anything else you would add to this?

Be aware that bigtop does things to the jar layout that will break parts of hadoop 3.

Re: Upgrading Hadoop dependencies and catching potential incompatibilities for HBase

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
Great suggestion!

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
Great suggestion!

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
> I'm working on this under HADOOP-11804, using HBase as my test
application.
Cool, glad to see progress on this.

Enis

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.