Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by lorenlai <lo...@yahoo.com> on 2011/10/18 16:38:43 UTC

solr/lucene and its database (a silly question)

Hello expert,

I have just a silly question regarding to Solr/Lucene, pls.

Where are the importing data stored ? In Lucene or Solr ?
Here is a picture of the architecture.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rTZPN3sm9e0/TjAdqciXHgI/AAAAAAAACs0/N_W_iSAI8cY/s1600/solr_arch.jpg

I mean when importing the data to Lucene. As for my understanding, the data
will be gone through some processes (document processing), then finally it
will store as Index (XML structure???) in Lucene engine ?
Is this correct ? If yes, what kind of Database does Lucene use ? Or how are
the data stored in lucene ?

Thank you for your answer. :-)

Cheers

Loren

Re: solr/lucene and its database (a silly question)

Posted by lorenlai <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Alireza,

thank you for the link again ;-)

Posted by Alireza Salimi <al...@gmail.com>.
In here:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrConfigXml#dataDir_parameter

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:38 AM, lorenlai <lo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello expert,
>
> I have just a silly question regarding to Solr/Lucene, pls.
>
> Where are the importing data stored ? In Lucene or Solr ?
> Here is a picture of the architecture.
>
> http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rTZPN3sm9e0/TjAdqciXHgI/AAAAAAAACs0/N_W_iSAI8cY/s1600/solr_arch.jpg
>
> I mean when importing the data to Lucene. As for my understanding, the data
> will be gone through some processes (document processing), then finally it
> will store as Index (XML structure???) in Lucene engine ?
> Is this correct ? If yes, what kind of Database does Lucene use ? Or how
> are
> the data stored in lucene ?
>
> Thank you for your answer. :-)
>
> Cheers
>
> Loren

Alireza Salimi
Java EE Developer

Re: solr/lucene and its database (a silly question)

Posted by lorenlai <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Robert,

also many thanks to you and your shortly descriptions/explanations to my
questions again were really helpful.

Cheers & have a nice day

Posted by Robert Stewart <bs...@gmail.com>.
SOLR stores all data in the directory you specify in solrconfig.xml in dataDir setting.

SOLR uses Lucene to store all the data in one or more proprietary binary files called segment files.  As a SOLR user typically you should not be too concerned with binary index structure.  You can see details here (some details may be out of date):  http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_2/fileformats.html

Bob