Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Takacs Istvan <is...@hungax.com> on 2002/02/25 11:43:49 UTC

Global ErrorDocument definition?

Hi

Is there any way to define a global
ErrorDocument method which works for on
every HTTP errors?
It's a bit confusing to enumerate the whole
errors and their error pages.
I'd like just one page for every errors.

Thanks in advance!

Regards;

                  Istvan

Re: Global ErrorDocument definition?

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Takacs Istvan wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there any way to define a global
> ErrorDocument method which works for on
> every HTTP errors?
> It's a bit confusing to enumerate the whole
> errors and their error pages.
> I'd like just one page for every errors.

You want something like:

ErrorDocument * "Something went wrong - but I can't be bothered telling
you what"

AFAIK, this can't be done. You have to provide an error-code.

Perhaps you should take this as a hint: error-codes are meant to inform
and assist web-users. If you give a global "Something went wrong" you
are doing neither of these things for your users. Either leave them with
the default apache messages or go with the angels and make a pleasant,
helpful page for each error (you only really need to do about 2 or 3 -
401, 403 and 404, the rest are very rare).

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.