Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/08 20:56:30 UTC

[commons-parent] m2 profiles for PuTTY?

We may need separate profiles for PuTTY users in commons-parent?

IIUC, the decision of choosing a wagon provider depends on the snaps
repo URL, so we would need a scpexe:// URL to get the Wagon SSH
External Provider (thereby we can use plink etc.). Anyone got a better
handle on this?

-Rahul

Re: [commons-parent] m2 profiles for PuTTY?

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 12/10/06, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> I didn't say anything about duplicating anything. Why can't we split out the
> scp-related part into separate profiles, one for scp and one for scpexe?
> That way, you could choose "mvn -P release,scp" or "mvn -P release,scpexe"
> depending on your preference. That way, all of the stuff you're concerned
> about stays in one place, in the 'release' profile.

Agreed, that this would address my concerns. Personally, I do not like
it, in particular I still do not see, why we need both, if scpexe is
usable for all. (Note, that I personally still do favour scp.) Could
live with it, of course.

Jochen

murder, yes, but divorce, never.
(Jack Benny)

Re: [commons-parent] m2 profiles for PuTTY?

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Cooper

Jochen

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 12/10/06, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>

> Duplicating the most important part of the POM (and maintaining both
> source and duplicate in the future) seems to me to be bad practice, at
> least if you aren't forced to do it. I do not see that we are forced.

<snap/>

Missing sentiment in your r439840 [1]. Sheesh, so much for duplication
in POMs and glorious preemptive -1s.

-Rahul

[1] http://tinyurl.com/y229jn

Re: [commons-parent] m2 profiles for PuTTY?

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 12/10/06, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/9/06, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/8/06, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > mvn -Prc deploy
> > >
> > > Folks like me and Hen can use:
> > >
> > > mvn -Pextrc deploy
> >
> > Would the extrc profile be a copy of the rc profile, with the wagon
> > type as an exception? If so, then I'd be -1 for it. The rc profile
> > does more than simply providing a deployment target.
> >
> <snip/>
>
> Makes no sense, thats a shiny red herring, not justification for your
> objection. Why do you think the new profile won't be able to similarly
> do more?
>
> With the two options in mind:
> (1) Change repo URLs to scpexe (you are +0)
> (2) Add new profiles with scpexe (you are -1)

Using profiles to provide two different options makes perfect sense to me. I
see no need to proscribe a "one size fits all" solution that may be
non-optimal for many folks when there is a simple means of providing two
alternatives that allows for each person to select their preferred solution.

--
Martin Cooper

I peeked at the wagon trunk code so we no longer have to talk in terms

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 12/8/06, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/8/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Basically we type our passphrases in once when the OS comes up and
> > from that point on we can ssh/scp to machines without having to enter
> > passwords/passphrases.
>
> I admit that I still do not completely understand the details, but I
> do understand that scpexe has some possibilities which scp doesn't
> have. Right? If so, I'd be +0 for changing the protocol in
> commons-parent.

<snip/>

No, why change? Add. Isn't that the point of profiles -- to accomodate
differing environments.

Unless there are better suggestions to this thread within the next few
days, I will add two new profiles to commons-parent (they will take
care of rc and release over scpexe). That should accomodate everyone.

Those who prefer vanilla scp can deploy snaps with (like you do right now):

mvn -Prc deploy

Folks like me and Hen can use:

mvn -Pextrc deploy

(or some such profile id)

-Rahul

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Pageant/sshagent are the same thing.

Basically we type our passphrases in once when the OS comes up and
from that point on we can ssh/scp to machines without having to enter
passwords/passphrases.

Hen

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 12/8/06, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>
> On 12/8/06, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to use my existing Pageant keys when on Windoze (and
> > additionally, I don't want cygwin).
>
> Sorry for asking more dumb questions: What are Pageant keys? I am
> using private keys all the time.

<snap/>

See this config:

 http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-deploy-ssh-external.html

(it has a scpexe:// URL, which I assume will make it possible to
deploy painlessly with my setup, haven't tried yet ofcourse)

See "NOTE" at end of the page (it has a link to all the PuTTY site,
which has all the PuTTY and Pageant info/details).

-Rahul

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 12/8/06, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/8/06, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We may need separate profiles for PuTTY users in commons-parent?
>
> Why do you want to use putty? The wagon scp protocol has, IMO, the
> charm that it doesn't depend on any external programs. Additionally,
> it has the advantage that deploying with Maven is much faster with scp
> than with scpexe.

<snip/>

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.