Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Tom Jordahl <to...@macromedia.com> on 2003/12/18 23:23:25 UTC

Axis web site (was RE: Axis 1.2 alpha location?)

OK, so I downloaded Forrest and it was pretty painless to use.

Following these instructions sent by Dims a while ago:

"Here's the current process for axis web site:
ws-axis/contrib/axisdocs contains the source for forrest. from this
directory if you run "forrest site" command it will generate the web site
under ws-axis/contrib/axisdocs/build/site directory.

Then do a recursive copy from ws-axis/contrib/axisdocs/build/site to
ws-site/targets/axis. Make modifications only in ws-axis/contrib/axisdocs as
any changes to ws-site/targets/axis will be over written. Once you are sure
about the generated site you can check in both the source and the target. A
cron job updates the web site from ws-site/targets/axis every 6 hours."

This is very much non-optimal (bad).

How about something like this:
- Update the XML files in ws-axis/contril/axisdocs
- Verify your changes by running Forrest and browse the build directory
- Check in the XML files, and in N minutes the site will be updated.

I just copied the whole deal over to the CVS directory, and checked the
whole thing in, hoping that CVS wouldn't check in the files that didn't get
modified.  My hope was in vain.

How can we streamline this process?  Can the cron job that copies the site
regenerate it from the Forrest source?  Because I would prefer to go back to
straight HTML, which I can use Dreamweaver or Notepad on, if I have to do
something like this just to update a few pages on the site!

Maybe if we had a script that would copy only the modified files to the
ws-site directory for checkin, that wouldn't be so bad.....

Help needed here.

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development

Posted by sanjaya singharage <sa...@opensource.lk>.

> How about something like this:
> - Update the XML files in ws-axis/contril/axisdocs
> - Verify your changes by running Forrest and browse the build directory
> - Check in the XML files, and in N minutes the site will be updated.

I also went through the process of updating the site and I too think this
approach would be best. It is a pain when you change the menu and have to
commit all the htmls and pdfs that forrest generates.

> How can we streamline this process?  Can the cron job that copies the site
> regenerate it from the Forrest source?

It looks like ws.apache.org and cvs.apache.org are two different hosts. How
is the copying of the generated files from cvs.apache.org to ws.apache.org
done? It it copied manually or may be through a expect script? However it
should be possible to do the generation on the server itself rather than
committing the generated files?