Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Gunther Schadow <gu...@aurora.rg.iupui.edu> on 2000/02/08 19:47:45 UTC

Streamlining AJP with UNIX domain sockets?

Hi,

quick question: AJP is used mainly in localhost type connections in order
to avoid any security issues.  If so, and if we focus on Unix systems for
now, wouldn't a UNIX domain socket be faster than a loopback IP connection?
I know UNIX sockets are not supported with 100% pure Java, but may be
one could add a JNI module for domain sockets and register UNIX domain
sockets as a URL scheme so that one could write programs that do not
heavily depend on UNIX yet can use that resource if available.  Any ideas?
Does it matter?

regards
-Gunther

Re: Streamlining AJP with UNIX domain sockets?

Posted by co...@eng.sun.com.
> Hi,
>
> quick question: AJP is used mainly in localhost type connections in order
> to avoid any security issues.  If so, and if we focus on Unix systems for
> now, wouldn't a UNIX domain socket be faster than a loopback IP connection?
> I know UNIX sockets are not supported with 100% pure Java, but may be
> one could add a JNI module for domain sockets and register UNIX domain
> sockets as a URL scheme so that one could write programs that do not
> heavily depend on UNIX yet can use that resource if available.  Any ideas?
> Does it matter?

It does matter, but I don't think it's a very high priority ( it doesn't
scale up with load balancing, so the focus should still be TCP  ).

It will probably be much faster than TCP, so it will be a great
contribution if someone has extra time.

Costin

Re: Streamlining AJP with UNIX domain sockets?

Posted by jon * <jo...@clearink.com>.
on 2/8/00 10:47 AM, Gunther Schadow <gu...@aurora.rg.iupui.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> quick question: AJP is used mainly in localhost type connections in order
> to avoid any security issues.  If so, and if we focus on Unix systems for
> now, wouldn't a UNIX domain socket be faster than a loopback IP connection?
> I know UNIX sockets are not supported with 100% pure Java, but may be
> one could add a JNI module for domain sockets and register UNIX domain
> sockets as a URL scheme so that one could write programs that do not
> heavily depend on UNIX yet can use that resource if available.  Any ideas?
> Does it matter?
>
> regards
> -Gunther

IMHO, the speed gain is not worth the time it takes to support such a
solution.

there are plenty of other places to find performance improvements within the
code that do not require platform specific solutions.

-jon

Conference!  <http://ApacheCon.Com/>