Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ertio Lew <er...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/14 18:24:34 UTC

Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Hey,

If you have a site in production environment or considering so, what
is the client that you use to interact with Cassandra. I know that
there are several clients available out there according to the
language you use but I would love to know what clients are being used
widely in production environments and are best to work with(support
most required features for performance).

Also preferably tell about the technology stack for your applications.

Any suggestions, comments appreciated ?

Thanks
Ertio

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Posted by Jean-Yves LEBLEU <jl...@gmail.com>.
Java + Pelops
Cassandra 0.6.8

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Posted by Colin Vipurs <zo...@gmail.com>.
Java + Pelops

--
Maybe she awoke to see the roommate's boyfriend swinging from the
chandelier wearing a boar's head.

Something which you, I, and everyone else would call "Tuesday", of course.

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Posted by Dave Gardner <da...@imagini.net>.
We use PHP and Thrift directly (although this is wrapped in code that
is basically our own bespoke client).

Dave

--
*Dave Gardner*
Technical Architect

[image: imagini_58mmX15mm.png]   [image: VisualDNA-Logo-small.png]

*Imagini Europe Limited*
7 Moor Street, London W1D 5NB

[image: phone_icon.png] +44 20 7734 7033
[image: skype_icon.png] daveg79
[image: emailIcon.png] dave.gardner@imagini.net
[image: icon-web.png] http://www.visualdna.com

Imagini Europe Limited, Company number 5565112 (England
and Wales), Registered address: c/o Bird & Bird,
90 Fetter Lane, London, EC4A 1EQ, United Kingdom

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Posted by Dave Viner <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Lundin <dl...@eintr.org>.
python + pycassa

Posted by Jools <jo...@gmail.com>.
Ironically, we started with an Thrift based application stack which used
Mysql as it's backend storage. At some point I was introduced to Cassandra,
and after a very short time we implemented it as our backend storage
mechanism.

The first version of our application used the Cassandra thrift client
directly, which was fine if a little muddled. We tried all the other clients
be failed to see any improvement over the Cassandra Thrift client. Until the
latest version of Hector was released, which we have now started to use.
We've been very impressed with it, and it's currently in our production
environment.

In terms of bindings in use for cassandra, we use java, cocoa and php. All
of which work fine.

We have had to write our own framed transport for cocoa (which was very
simple) so we can use our cassandra management tool (Palladium) which is
written using cocoa. (BTW we will be providing Palladium as a free download
in the next few months).

The key thing to note, is because there are so many bindings for Cassandra
you can pick the technology which suites your requirements, and not be shoe
horned into using something which 'kinda' works.

--Jools

Posted by shimi <sh...@gmail.com>.
Same here, Hector with Java.

Shimi

Posted by Dan Kuebrich <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Wynholds <mi...@carbonfive.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Shook <js...@gmail.com>.
clients:
 Java and MVEL + Hector
 Perl + thrift

Usage: high-traffic monitoring harness with dynamic mapping and
Cassandra was part of the "do more with less hardware" approach to
designing this system.

Posted by Viktor Jevdokimov <Vi...@adform.com>.
- Cassandra 0.7 beta1 on virtual Windows Server 2008 64bit machines (8 total).
- In-house built C# client for .NET app connecting using Thrift, was worth it to built own client.
- 150M transactions/day load and growing.

Best regards/ Pagarbiai

Viktor Jevdokimov
Senior Developer

Email: Viktor.Jevdokimov@adform.com