Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by Thomas Blatter <Th...@wanadoo.fr> on 2002/11/28 19:30:57 UTC

Successful build of Xalan1.4/Xerces2.1 with debian woody gcc2.95.4

Hi,

    i was able to build the current releases of Xalan (1.4) and Xerces
(2.1) on my little debian sandbox here, (32MB RAM, P133) using gcc2.95.4
compiler (3.1 doesn't seem to exist any more in any of the
unstable/testing, and the dependencies of 3.2 seem to be broken for the
time being).

    The build i did was an out-of-the-box build, only following the
build-instructions.

    I had repeatedly internal compiler errors, i assume are due to the lack
of memory. In fact I simply restarted make until it was through... in
something like 6 hours for the 2 builds. For the memory i have to admit
that this brave box runs also an Apache, a Zope 2.5, a Zope 2.6, a
PostgreSQL and a FTP server, not to forget the SSHD i used to do the build.

    Unfortunatly the Xalan-Tests don't have makefiles, only vc++ dsp's, so
i didn't do any testing with these. But I did run the tests of Pyana
(Python embedding of Xalan/Xerces) with to me obscure results but Pyana
said it was 'ok'. Then i did the tests of the XMLTransform product of Zope,
which yielded the results announced in the XMLTransform documentation.
Finally i did a transform of my own through XMLTransform which was
successful as well (the only regret then was, that FOP can't process over
http:, would have been nice to get the final resulting PDF with a single
FOP command... i will have to insert a wget in the FOP.bat ;).

    Congrats for the solid work in Xalan and Xerces.

    Kind Regards,

    Thomas Blatter