Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Brendan Reville <br...@tenzing.com> on 2000/10/10 01:41:59 UTC

Problem: Winsock dependency?

hi all,

two issues covered here:

I thought somebody should know about this -- I've been using the 1.2 win32
Xerces DLL on an original Windows 95 machine and it worked fine, with only
an occasional error about the NetAccessor not being initialized/available
(can't quite remember the exact error). Anybody know why this would go
wrong?

I suspect it's a winsock error.  Since I'm only parsing a local file, I
don't think the NetAccessor even needs to be initialized.

Anyway, I just d/led the latest stable release (1.3), and it no longer
works on an original Windows 95 box, because it depends on WS2_32.DLL,
Winsock 2.  Is there any easy way to remove this dependency?  Or do I need
to recompile the source without the NetAccessor component?

thanks

Re: Problem: Winsock dependency?

Posted by Andy Heninger <an...@jtcsv.com>.
From: "Brendan Reville" <br...@tenzing.com>
Subject: Problem: Winsock dependency?

> two issues covered here:
>
> I thought somebody should know about this -- I've been using the 1.2
win32
> Xerces DLL on an original Windows 95 machine and it worked fine, with
only
> an occasional error about the NetAccessor not being
initialized/available
> (can't quite remember the exact error). Anybody know why this would go
> wrong?
>
> I suspect it's a winsock error.  Since I'm only parsing a local file, I
> don't think the NetAccessor even needs to be initialized.
>
> Anyway, I just d/led the latest stable release (1.3), and it no longer
> works on an original Windows 95 box, because it depends on WS2_32.DLL,
> Winsock 2.  Is there any easy way to remove this dependency?  Or do I
need
> to recompile the source without the NetAccessor component?

To change xerces back to the old WinSock you don't need to
change any source, just have it link with wsock32.lib instead of
ws2_32.lib

I'm inclined to leave the prebuilt binaries as they are.  Either way,
they won't be right for some people - some apps need ws2.

Back in July, Eliot Muir suggested a solution...