Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org> on 2017/04/24 15:26:51 UTC

Quick Dev - Atlas Images

Right now, we have the images that get pushed to Atlas for Quick Dev
<https://atlas.hashicorp.com/metron/boxes/quick_dev> versioned
independently from the rest of Metron.  We currently have versions 0.1.0
and 0.2.0.

What happens when a user downloads an official release of Metron, like
0.3.1, and attempts to run Quick Dev?  I would assume that the code would
download the latest image version, which we may have been updated since the
release.  This would cause it to fail for the release version.  Am I wrong?

If we had the Atlas images follow Metron's versioning scheme, would this
solve the problem?  Are there other cons of doing this?

Thanks

Re: Quick Dev - Atlas Images

Posted by David Lyle <dl...@gmail.com>.
It's not an anti-Ansible sentiment, it's more of an
anti-using-Ansible-as-a-general-purpose-installer sentiment. Ansible is
fantastic in a constrained environment where the OS, Python versions, and
Ansible versions are known a priori and won't change without the Ansible
maintainer's knowledge. Ambari is WAY harder to use at first, but
basically, we're trading more effort up front for a (hopefully) lower
barrier to entry and less support burden going forward.

-D...

Re: Quick Dev - Atlas Images

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.

Re: Quick Dev - Atlas Images

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.

Re: Quick Dev - Atlas Images

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.

Re: Quick Dev - Atlas Images

Posted by Michael Miklavcic <mi...@gmail.com>.
I may have missed a discuss thread on this, but it looks like we are no
longer using -SNAPSHOT in our current dev master
https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/blob/master/pom.xml#L19

Re: Quick Dev - Atlas Images

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.

Re: Quick Dev - Atlas Images