Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Ostrowski, Steven" <st...@lmco.com> on 2002/06/13 16:35:11 UTC

commons-logging in Applet Errors

Hello,

	I searched the archive for posts regarding errors in commons-logging
when being used inside an applet. I was wondering if there is a workaround
for this, a way to disable it, or if there is a design decision why
commons-logging should not be used inside an applet.
	I'm trying to send a SOAPMessage by a standalone client applet to a
URLEndpoint (the web server). This seems like a valid thing to do in an
applet. I'm using WSDP 1.0. When I call getConnection from the
SOAPConnectionFactory, it uses the commons-logging API. My error stack trace
is shown below, with some unnecessary details left out:

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at
com.sun.xml.messaging.saaj.client.p2p.HttpSOAPConnectionFactory.createConnec
tion(HttpSOAPConnectionFactory.java:25)
        at
com.lmco.eldp.readisim.model.SimulationControlModel.sendCreateEntity(Simulat
ionControlModel.java:370)
        at
com.lmco.eldp.readisim.model.SimulationControlModel.setHost(SimulationContro
lModel.java:196)
        at
com.lmco.eldp.readisim.controller.IntroPanelController.actionPerformed(Intro
PanelController.java:136)
        at
javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1767)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
va:509)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
va:285)
        at
com.sun.xml.messaging.saaj.client.p2p.HttpSOAPConnection.<clinit>(HttpSOAPCo
nnection.java:37)
        ... 26 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryI
mpl.java:404)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
va:502)
        ... 28 more
        at
sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:105)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.loadClass(LogFactoryImpl.java
:434)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryI
mpl.java:398)
        ... 29 more

Also, if this is the wrong mailing list, sorry for the mispost. What list
should I send this question to?

Thank You,
Steven Ostrowski