Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Konovalova, Svetlana" <sv...@intel.com> on 2007/03/14 09:47:45 UTC

[doc][website]do we need section numeration within pages?

Dear all,
I've noticed that certain [1]&[2] pages have numerated sections, and
certain [3]&[4] don't.
IMHO, section numeration makes navigation easier. For the sake of
convenience, you can just say "see section 2.5" instead of saying the
section name that is probably too long.
I'd like to ask you whether we need section numeration within pages, or
not.
Could we get rid of this site inconsistency somehow? I'd like to, but I
do not insist. :)
What's your opinion?
If you do not mind, I volunteer to fix this inconsistency.
Feel free to express your ideas! Your feedback is very welcome!

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/subcomponents/drlvm/developers_guide.html
[2] http://harmony.apache.org/roadmap.html
[3] http://harmony.apache.org/subcomponents/classlibrary/awt.html
[4] http://harmony.apache.org/subcomponents/drlvm/JVMTI-PopFrame.html

Thanks,
Sveta

RE: [doc][website]do we need section numeration within pages?

Posted by "Konovalova, Svetlana" <sv...@intel.com>.
Oops,
I'm going to fix this bug.

Thanks,
Sveta

BTW, the awt page[3] has funny numbering of pictures:
Fig1
Fig3
Fig2
Fig4

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Ivanov, Alexey A" <al...@intel.com>.
I tend to agree with Alexey. Number is not essential for this kind of
documents. Numbering is a must in specification where you constantly
need to refer to other sections.

Since all the pages use hypertext, then we should use its possibilities:
When referring to a section, make it a hyperlink; if it's an email
message, then -- again -- it's better to provide the address of the
section you refer to, so that there's no need to search it.

>From maintenance point of view, if numbers are hard coded, even a simple
modification of document will break numeration. Fixing it by hand is not
a funny thing.

CSS 2 provides a way for automatic numbering (counters) [1] but this
feature is not supported in Internet Explorer, even in v7.0. However
this feature is correctly supported in Firefox, Opera.

I think the best way to format Table of Contents is using <ol> or <ul>,
and not using paragraphs. Any style can be applied to lists (even
numbers or markers can be hidden), and the same formatting as it is now
may be achieved with CSS. But the semantics, IMHO, will improve.

Regards,
Alexey.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#counters

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Mar 16, 2007, at 3:08 AM, Ivanov, Alexey A wrote:

> Geir,
>
> As far I remember the only files which have TOC and numbering are
> those
> long-long HTML files which are not actually processed by Anakia -
> their
> HTML code merely included into VSL-generated template. Am I wrong?

That might be now, yes.

> Having this in mind, using your approach requires all these files
> to be
> converted into XML (some tags need changing etc.)

Yes - my thought was to do this for things going forward, to just
make it easier for new docs.

> Applying CSS doesn't
> require any changes. And I don't know why Microsoft doesn't implement
> support many CSS properties which may make life of web content
> developer
> easier.

Beats me :)

Posted by "Ivanov, Alexey A" <al...@intel.com>.
Geir,

As far I remember the only files which have TOC and numbering are those
long-long HTML files which are not actually processed by Anakia - their
HTML code merely included into VSL-generated template. Am I wrong?

Having this in mind, using your approach requires all these files to be
converted into XML (some tags need changing etc.) Applying CSS doesn't

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by "Konovalova, Svetlana" <sv...@intel.com>.
Nadya,
Thanks for useful suggestions!
>= use TOCHeading and TOC paragraph styles for headings of 1st and 2nd
>levels respectively
+1
>= use lists to format the table of contents; if the page has section
>numbering, an ordered list would be ideal; for unnumbered sections, an
>unordered list would do.
+1

Best regards,
Sveta

>+1. If there are no objections, I can add tables of content to longish
>pages, such as [2]&[5]
Patches are always welcome. Would be great if the tables of content are
of unified format.
Suggestions:
= use TOCHeading and TOC paragraph styles for headings of 1st and 2nd
levels respectively
= use lists to format the table of contents; if the page has section
numbering, an ordered list would be ideal; for unnumbered sections, an
unordered list would do.
What do you think?

Cheers,
Nadya