Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2011/12/29 17:05:16 UTC

[VOTE] DeviceMap to join the Apache incubator

Hi Incubator PMC members (*),

I've just reviewed the "[PROPOSAL] Apache DeviceMap..." thread and I
think all relevant issues have been adressed now.

Let's cast your votes to accept DeviceMap as an incubating project,
proposal is at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DeviceMapProposal and
copied below as well:

[ ] +1 approve DeviceMap as an incubating project.
[ ] -1 reject (explaining why)
[ ] +/- 0 don't care.

This majority vote is open for at least 72 hours.

Here's my +1.

-Bertrand

(*) although only votes from Incubator PMC members are binding,
anybody is welcome to cast a vote

*** DeviceMap proposal ***
== Abstract ==

Apache DeviceMap is a data repository containing device information,
images and other relevant information for all sorts of mobile devices,
e.g. smartphones and tablets.

While the focus is initially on that data, APIs will also be created
to use and manage it.

== Proposal ==

Apache DeviceMap allows users to access a wide array of technical
specifications, images and other artifacts related to mobile devices.
Typical mobile devices include smartphones and tablets, such as:

 * Android devices from multiple vendors
 * Apple’s iPhone and iPad family of devices
 * !BlackBerry devices
 * Windows Phone devices from multiple vendors
 * Symbian devices
 * Devices with a small marketshare running Bada, Tizen, WebOS etc.

The list of Apache DeviceMap devices remains open to other device
types, as the mobile sector is a highly dynamic marketplace and new
device forms may surface which may not too well fit into a smartphone
/ tablet matrix, e.g. ChromeOS Devices.

== Repository Data ==

The exact structure of the repository data will be defined as the
project progresses.

At the moment we envision storing user agent strings and/or regular
expressions, properties similar to CSS Media Queries, images of the
actual devices, other attributes similar to what’s in UAPROF
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAProf) for example, per-country market
share data, etc.

Modern mobile applications often do not need very detailed device
data, so we will concentrate, at least initially, on basic device
features as used in html5 websites.

The W3C’s Mobile Web Initiative specs
(http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/DDWG/) will also be evaluated for use in
DeviceMap.

== Background ==

The initial motivation for Apache DeviceMap is to provide an open
repository of mobile device data, available to the general public
according to the Apache License.

== Rationale ==

We propose an open and community driven repository containing mobile
device data, thereby allowing for analysis of device capabilities and
feature sets. This is beneficial on several fronts, be it for software
developers, stakeholders/decision makers or analysts.

== Initial Goals ==

 * Define what form of data is valuable/required to setup a good
working repository
 * Define what image sets are valuable/required
 * Define a data retention policy, meaning when should data be purged
 * Collect existing data and setup simple procedures for users to
contribute and validate such data.

== Current Status ==

Proposal has been
[[http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201112.mbox/%3CCAEWfVJkuv5qmb%2B8JXuF%3D3Zx4dsUNXoMMRKLWpZu4Eh%3D9-vJESg%40mail.gmail.com%3E|discussed]]
on the Incubator general list, vote is ongoing there now (TODO add
link).

== Community ==

This project will form a new community, driven by the initial
committers listed below. We hope and feel that Apache DeviceMap will
draw interest and its community will broaden.

== Known Risks ==

For device images and other data, we’ll need to define acceptance
criteria and traceability rules similar to what Apache uses for code,
to avoid any legal issues.

Gathering data of any sort is a potential sensitive area and may
require good public communication or even public relation activities.

== Initial Source ==

The [[http://OpenDDR.org|OpenDDR.org]] team will donate their existing
source code to the DeviceMap podling.

== Initial Committers ==

 * Philip Jespersen - philip.jespersen (at) terria (dot) com
 * Bertrand Delacretaz - bdelacretaz (at) apache (dot) org
 * Christian Stocker - chregu (at) liip.ch
 * Scott Wilson - scottbw (at) apache (dot) org
 * Sylvain Wallez - sylvain (at) apache (dot) org
 * Andrew Savory - asavory (at) apache (dot) org
 * Nils Dehl - nils.dehl (at) dkd (dot) de
 * Brian !LeRoux - brian (at) apache (dot) org
 * Stefano Andreani - s.andreani (at) opentecheng (dot) com
 * Alessandro Bellucci - a.bellucci (at) opentecheng (dot) com
 * Werner Keil - werner (at) openddr (dot) org
 * Tim Fernando - info (at) timfernando (dot) com

== Required Resources ==

=== Mailing lists ===
 * devicemap-dev @ incubator.apache.org
 * devicemap-commits @ incubator.apache.org
 * devicemap-private @ incubator.apache.org

=== Subversion Directory ===
http://svn.apache.org/repos/incubator/devicemap

=== Issue Tracking ===
DMAP project in JIRA.

== Sponsors ==

=== Champion ===
Bertrand Delacretaz

=== Nominated Mentors ===
 * Sylvain Wallez
 * Kevan Miller
 * Bertrand Delacretaz

=== Sponsoring Entity ===
Incubator PMC

*** DeviceMap proposal ends ***

Re: [VOTE] DeviceMap to join the Apache incubator

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 from me (binding).

Cheers,
Chris

On Dec 29, 2011, at 8:05 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> [...]
> require good public communication or even public relation activities.
>
> == Initial Source ==
>
> The [[http://OpenDDR.org|OpenDDR.org]] team will donate their existing
> source code to the DeviceMap podling.
>
> == Initial Committers ==
>
> * Philip Jespersen - philip.jespersen (at) terria (dot) com
> * Bertrand Delacretaz - bdelacretaz (at) apache (dot) org
> * Christian Stocker - chregu (at) liip.ch
> * Scott Wilson - scottbw (at) apache (dot) org
> * Sylvain Wallez - sylvain (at) apache (dot) org
> * Andrew Savory - asavory (at) apache (dot) org
> * Nils Dehl - nils.dehl (at) dkd (dot) de
> * Brian !LeRoux - brian (at) apache (dot) org
> * Stefano Andreani - s.andreani (at) opentecheng (dot) com
> * Alessandro Bellucci - a.bellucci (at) opentecheng (dot) com
> * Werner Keil - werner (at) openddr (dot) org
> * Tim Fernando - info (at) timfernando (dot) com

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: [VOTE] DeviceMap to join the Apache incubator

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
+1

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
+1 (non binding)

Am 29. Dezember 2011 22:52 schrieb Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>:
> [...]
>> require good public communication or even public relation activities.
>>
>> == Initial Source ==
>>
>> The [[http://OpenDDR.org|OpenDDR.org]] team will donate their existing
>> source code to the DeviceMap podling.
>>
>> == Initial Committers ==
>>
>> * Philip Jespersen - philip.jespersen (at) terria (dot) com
>> * Bertrand Delacretaz - bdelacretaz (at) apache (dot) org
>> * Christian Stocker - chregu (at) liip.ch
>> * Scott Wilson - scottbw (at) apache (dot) org
>> * Sylvain Wallez - sylvain (at) apache (dot) org
>> * Andrew Savory - asavory (at) apache (dot) org
>> * Nils Dehl - nils.dehl (at) dkd (dot) de
>> * Brian !LeRoux - brian (at) apache (dot) org
>> * Stefano Andreani - s.andreani (at) opentecheng (dot) com
>> * Alessandro Bellucci - a.bellucci (at) opentecheng (dot) com
>> * Werner Keil - werner (at) openddr (dot) org
>> * Tim Fernando - info (at) timfernando (dot) com

Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: [VOTE] DeviceMap to join the Apache incubator

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Francis

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
+1 (non-binding)

Cheers,
Andreas

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

Regards
JB

On 12/30/2011 08:57 AM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> +1 (binding)

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] DeviceMap to join the Apache incubator

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] DeviceMap to join the Apache incubator

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

2011/12/29 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>:
> [...]
> require good public communication or even public relation activities.
>
> == Initial Source ==
>
> The [[http://OpenDDR.org|OpenDDR.org]] team will donate their existing
> source code to the DeviceMap podling.
>
> == Initial Committers ==
>
>  * Philip Jespersen - philip.jespersen (at) terria (dot) com
>  * Bertrand Delacretaz - bdelacretaz (at) apache (dot) org
>  * Christian Stocker - chregu (at) liip.ch
>  * Scott Wilson - scottbw (at) apache (dot) org
>  * Sylvain Wallez - sylvain (at) apache (dot) org
>  * Andrew Savory - asavory (at) apache (dot) org
>  * Nils Dehl - nils.dehl (at) dkd (dot) de
>  * Brian !LeRoux - brian (at) apache (dot) org
>  * Stefano Andreani - s.andreani (at) opentecheng (dot) com
>  * Alessandro Bellucci - a.bellucci (at) opentecheng (dot) com
>  * Werner Keil - werner (at) openddr (dot) org
>  * Tim Fernando - info (at) timfernando (dot) com

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] DeviceMap to join the Apache incubator

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Idel,

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Idel Fuschini <id...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...if you need a help to your project I will be happy to contribute....

Thanks! The best is to wait for the devicemap-dev list to be created,
and we can then discuss any plans there.

I'll announce here once that list is available.

-Bertrand

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] DeviceMap to join the Apache incubator

Posted by Idel Fuschini <id...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
First of all Happy New yeasr, and sorry for my scholastic english.
I'm Idel Fuschini the owner of Apache Mobile Filter (
http://www.apachemobilefilter.org or
https://modules.apache.org/search.php?id=1787).
AMF started in 2008, is a module written in Perl using mod_perl and the
features are:

Device Detection
Switcher
Image Rendering

for more info: http://wiki.apachemobilefilter.org

In this moment my project integrates several device repository such as
WURFL, 51degrees.mobi and DetectRight. In this moment I'm working to
ingrate also OpenDDR where I was included as contributor, and I have
planned to delivery at the end of january.
So if you need a help to your project I will be happy to contribute.

Idel
=====================
Mobile: +39 349 442 2668
E-Mail: idel.fuschini@gmail.com
Web Site: http://www.idelfuschini.it
AMF project:  http://www.apachemobilefilter.org
AMF wiki: Apache Mobile Filter - http:/wiki.apachemobilefilter.org
------
La presente comunicazione ed i suoi allegati e' destinata esclusivamente
ai destinatari. Qualsiasi suo utilizzo, comunicazione o diffusione non
autorizzata
e' proibita. Se ha ricevuto questa comunicazione per errore, la preghiamo
di darne
immediata comunicazione al mittente e di cancellare tutte le informazioni
erroneamente acquisite. (Rif. D.Lgs. 196/2003). Grazie

This message and its attachments are intended only for use by the
addressees. Any use,
re-transmission or dissemination not authorized of it is prohibited. If you
received
this e-mail in error, please inform the sender immediately and delete all
the material.
(Rif. D.Lgs. 196/2003). Thank you.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.