Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2014/03/02 11:16:17 UTC

Re: Hbase data loss scenario

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 1:15 AM, kiran <ki...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also Initially we though it was human error that some one might have
> deleted hdfs dirs under some regions. But, surprisingy only some columns in
> a column family for a row in the region are lost. If some one has deleted
> entire dir, then entire column family for those region rows should be lost,
> since hbase has stores files for each column family.

No, you can delete everything out from underneath HBase yet if it is in the
process of writing files when the deletion happened, the files under
construction will show up when closed, with directory structure recreated
as needed. If there is only an occasional store file here and there
remaining this is actually suggestive of a deletion of HBase data at the
HDFS level by some external process or user.

The NameNode audit records should tell you what actions were taken
involving HBase data directories by which user at what time.
--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)