Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mitch Claborn <mi...@claborn.net> on 2018/09/27 15:46:51 UTC

Email from AsyncFileHandler?

I recently wrote an extension of org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler that
will send an email to a specified address if the message is SEVERE or
higher (in a background thread). Is there any interest in putting that
ability into AsyncFileHanlder directly?

--

Mitch

Re: Email from AsyncFileHandler?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 27/09/2018 11:46, Mitch Claborn wrote:
> I recently wrote an extension of org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler that
> will send an email to a specified address if the message is SEVERE or
> higher (in a background thread). Is there any interest in putting that
> ability into AsyncFileHanlder directly?

I can see the use case for that. Some folks might have monitoring for
their log files that in turn triggers emails as required but I'm sure
there are some use cases for the email to be triggered directly from Tomcat.

I do have some design concerns. There is lots of configuration that
might be required for this and the filtering for what does / doesn't
trigger an email is going to duplicate a lot of the existing Handler
functionality. I wonder if a separate EmailHandler wouldn't be a cleaner
implementation.

Mark