Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Bahadur, Kamal" <Ka...@digitalinsight.com> on 2011/06/09 17:51:36 UTC

Purge Data

>From the documentation, I came to know that there is a limitation of
maximum number (2 billion) of columns that a column family can have. My
questions is, is there a way to purge the old columns when the number of
columns is nearing the 2 billion mark?

Thanks,

Kamal

Re: Purge Data

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Remember that you should have many more rows of size X than you have
cluster nodes for any value of X.

So if you have a data model where a handful of rows may have > 2B
columns but the rest will be much smaller, you should probably rethink
that.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Re: Purge Data

Posted by Jeremy Hanna <je...@gmail.com>.
Have you looked at the TTL column feature in 0.7?
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/whats-new-cassandra-07-expiring-columns

Those will automatically expire columns after a certain time period - not when you near the column limit, but might be helpful for you.