Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> on 2009/08/20 00:36:23 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Directory Server 1.5.5 released

Apache Directory Server 1.5.5 released !

The Apache Directory team is proud to announce that the long expected
1.5.5 version has been released yesterday.

Downloads are available at
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/downloads.html

What's new ?
------------

- More than 62 bugs have been fixed.
- We switched to MINA 2.0.0-M6
- entryUUID and entryCSN are now injected for every new entry
- huge search requests don't eat all the memory
- Addition of a Client-API (eliminary work)
- Jetty has been integrated into the server
- Addition of a Journal
- The server.xml file has been modified

Change in Server.xml
--------------------

<defaultDirectoryService...> takes some new attributes :
  - replicaId (an integer) OPTIONAL
  - maxPDUSize (an integer, the maximum number of bytes a incoming
message can be) OPTIONAL

<interceptors> :
  - the <referralInterceptor/> bean must be present

servers : the configuration has changed for all the servers
(changePasswordServer, kdcServer,
ntpServer, dnsServer. They all take a <transports> set of transports,
instead of sharing some
SocketAcceptor/DatagramAcceptor. For instance :

  <kdcServer ipPort="60088">
    <directoryService>#directoryService</directoryService>
    <datagramAcceptor>#datagramAcceptor</datagramAcceptor>
    <socketAcceptor>#socketAcceptor</socketAcceptor>
  </kdcServer>

becomes :

  <dnsServer>
    <transports>
      <tcpTransport port="8053"/>
      <udpTransport port="8053"/>
    </transports>
    <directoryService>#directoryService</directoryService>
  </dnsServer>

The <LdapService> bean has been renamed <LdapServer>, to have a
consistent naming scheme.

<LdapServer> supports both the LDAP and LDAPS protocols, the transports
are used to define
LDAPS if needed. :

    <transports>
      <tcpTransport address="0.0.0.0" port="10389" nbThreads="8"
backLog="50" enableSSL="false"/>
      <tcpTransport address="localhost" port="10686" enableSSL="true"/>
    </transports>

The second transport is used for SSL

<ApacheDS> bean does not contain a reference to a directory service
anymore, each server which
need to rely on such a service will refer it into its own configuration.

ChangeLog
---------

Bug

    * [DIRSERVER-644] - Memory Leak in Persistent search ?
    * [DIRSERVER-776] - entryUUID only created when entries are added
with Mitosis enabled
    * [DIRSERVER-1106] - Hot partition removal leaves server in
inconsistent state (removal is buggy)
    * [DIRSERVER-1139] - Loop detected on ldapcompare
    * [DIRSERVER-1157] - Deleting Alias entry failure
    * [DIRSERVER-1161] - search results are not streamed to the client
until final done response is queued
    * [DIRSERVER-1181] - Too many results when using searchfilter with
escaped asterisks \2A
    * [DIRSERVER-1199] - Improperly named/missing getter/setter for
Registries SchemaLoader
    * [DIRSERVER-1201] - Interceptors not working (XBean)
    * [DIRSERVER-1226] - Search request causing schema exception on
apacheHierarchy attribute type which was probably renamed
    * [DIRSERVER-1231] - Some operation can't be reverted with a single
reverseLdif element
    * [DIRSERVER-1250] - An error (noSuchObject - code32) should be
raised when trying to delete an entry that does not exist
    * [DIRSERVER-1253] - An error is shown in the log at the first start
up of ApacheDS 1.5.4
    * [DIRSERVER-1254] - An error and a warning are shown in the log
when accessing the RootDSE
    * [DIRSERVER-1255] - unit tests fail on windows (jdbm-store and
core-integ)
    * [DIRSERVER-1256] - bad # hex escape in RDN doesn't throw
InvalidNameException
    * [DIRSERVER-1258] - memory leak (outstanding requests) in SearchHandler
    * [DIRSERVER-1266] - The new referal handling generate 2 lookup
instead of one for every search request
    * [DIRSERVER-1267] - Searching for a non existing entry now end with
NPE inside the server
    * [DIRSERVER-1269] - Lowercased attributes after modify-replace
operation
    * [DIRSERVER-1272] - The Core API does not handle referrals
    * [DIRSERVER-1276] - unescaping binary string corrupts values
    * [DIRSERVER-1278] - Error while trying to create new partition
    * [DIRSERVER-1279] - kerberos test failing on IBM JDK
    * [DIRSERVER-1283] - installers/apacheds-noarch no longer builds
apacheds-noarch-installer-1.5.5-SNAPSHOT-app.jar
    * [DIRSERVER-1287] - Substring search with special chars not working
    * [DIRSERVER-1289] - NTP/KDC not starting
    * [DIRSERVER-1292] - Enabling NIS schema causes core-integ unit test
to NPE
    * [DIRSERVER-1296] - integer attribute types are not compared correctly
    * [DIRSERVER-1300] - Only adding from LDIF is possible with
injectEntries() in IntegrationUtils
    * [DIRSERVER-1303] - The documentation should mention that
@ApplyLdifFiles annotation is unused
    * [DIRSERVER-1304] - Searching for a Telephone number don't work
    * [DIRSERVER-1306] - Searching an attribute which is a DN ends with
a 80 Ldap error (Other)
    * [DIRSERVER-1308] - Can't delete objectClass with mandatory attribute
    * [DIRSERVER-1311] - Entry with an escaped comma in DN not found in
searches with some filters
    * [DIRSERVER-1313] - Potential NPEs while loading LDIFs in unit tests
    * [DIRSERVER-1316] - apacheds.bat in noarch installer causes
NoClassDefFoundError on Windows
    * [DIRSERVER-1317] - Apache Studio ldif export
    * [DIRSERVER-1318] - Binary installer does not allow installation
with a simple user
    * [DIRSERVER-1324] - In default configuration not possible to
connect via LDAP and LDAPS from computers other than the one the server
has been started from
    * [DIRSERVER-1326] - Unable to search on a custom attribute of type
directory string unless I've set a matching rule
    * [DIRSERVER-1333] - Server is unable to handle valid 'not' filter
    * [DIRSERVER-1335] - The windows installer produce errors
    * [DIRSERVER-1343] - Replacing indexed attribute always grows JDBM
database
    * [DIRSERVER-1344] - DefaultPartitionNexus tries to add the system
context entry every time the server is started
    * [DIRSERVER-1347] - escaping french accents in filter
    * [DIRSERVER-1348] - Core Integ tests are badly failing on Windows
due to the inability to remove the 'server-work' folder
    * [DIRSERVER-1352] - Infinite Loop when deleting an alias with
suffix size > 1
    * [DIRSERVER-1356] - KeyDerivationServiceIT class fails with an IBM JDK
    * [DIRSERVER-1365] - Modification on the current init script (at
least version 1.5.4) placed under /etc/init.d
    * [DIRSERVER-1366] - Delete take forever when having a lot of entries
    * [DIRSERVER-1367] - Protocol error when requesting attribute with
the space character only
    * [DIRSERVER-1368] - Using Extended Objectclass fails
    * [DIRSERVER-1369] - Concurrent bind and unbind of objects puts ADS
in an inconsistent (unusable) state.
    * [DIRSERVER-1376] - sublevel index grows without limit
    * [DIRSERVER-1377] - Potential concurrency issue when
adding/modifying/deleting entries at a high rate
    * [DIRSERVER-1379] - ou=system shows multiple time in ldapsearch
with different createTimestamps
    * [DIRSERVER-1381] - problem using apacheds-tools.jar :
ClassCastException during import
    * [DIRSERVER-1383] - There is a confusion between Anonymous access
and Access to rootDSE
    * [DIRSERVER-1384] - Abandonned requests are not abandonned...
    * [DIRSERVER-1391] - filter "(attr=*+*)" causes infinite loop
    * [DIRSERVER-1397] - Removal of an non existing value from an
attribute does not generate an error
    * [DIRSHARED-31] - LdapDN.endsWith(javax.naming.Name) fails for
javax.naming.ldap.LdapName

Improvement

    * [DIRSERVER-639] - allow to run ldaps only
    * [DIRSERVER-649] - transport explanations in NamingExceptions why
searches fail back to the client
    * [DIRSERVER-666] - Wrap LDIF generated String every 80 characters
    * [DIRSERVER-785] - When searching the directory with broken search
expressions the search never returns (infinite loop)
    * [DIRSERVER-1048] - Need to improve LDIF load procedures
    * [DIRSERVER-1122] - Limit the number of messages sent but not yet
acknowledged
    * [DIRSERVER-1165] - Adding some logs when the server has started
    * [DIRSERVER-1247] - removing unrequired escaping in DNs / filters
    * [DIRSERVER-1251] - Update the dependencies to the latest version
    * [DIRSERVER-1257] - some additional unit tests re MODIFY requests
    * [DIRSERVER-1274] - spelling typo
    * [DIRSERVER-1280] - make server connection backlog configurable
    * [DIRSERVER-1288] - put apacheds-server-unit-1.5.4.jar dependencies
into Manifest
    * [DIRSERVER-1297] - Create default index on some attributeTypes
like ObjectClass, ...
    * [DIRSERVER-1298] - Use AT names instead of OIDs for the indexed
attributes
    * [DIRSERVER-1320] - Vestigial attribute workingDirectory in
directoryService configuration may no longer be needed
    * [DIRSERVER-1332] - Create apacheds-all OSGi bundle
    * [DIRSERVER-1334] - Create module for OSGi bundle
    * [DIRSERVER-1374] - Use JUnit 4.5 for integration testing framework
    * [DIRSERVER-1375] - Support variable length salts for SSHA and SMD5
    * [DIRSERVER-1386] - Get rid of the MANIFEST.MF file of the
server-tools project
    * [DIRSHARED-23] - Organize schema description parsers and value objects

New Feature

    * [DIRSERVER-1260] - Add a protection agains DoS attacks
    * [DIRSERVER-1262] - Add a Jetty container

Task

    * [DIRSERVER-811] - Make schema bootstrap code disregard deleted entries
    * [DIRSERVER-882] - Adding a tool to convert Schema files to Ldif Files
    * [DIRSERVER-1218] - Investigate the altered lookup() (returns empty
entries) does not cause issues
    * [DIRSERVER-1329] - Fix expression vs default-value in maven plugins
    * [DIRSERVER-1337] - Add system level indexes for objectClass,
entryCSN and entryUUID attributes
    * [DIRSERVER-1372] - Switch to MINA-2.0.0-M6 asap

Sub-task

    * [DIRSERVER-1238] - Move to MINA 2.0 where we can make a bigger
impact with the networking code
    * [DIRSHARED-32] - Create Antlr based DN parser

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

migrating to Apache Directory Server 1.5.5 (was: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Directory Server 1.5.5 released)

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ay...@gmail.com>.

hi Brian,

> Version 1.5.4 has been very stable in my installation for some time.
thanks for choosing ADS :)

> I would like to upgrade to 1.5.5 just to keep the system tidy and up to
> date, but I am also keen to look at the new journal feature.
upgrading is a good thing but the journal feature is in a experimental state at the moment
and I think it remains so till the version 2.0 comes out

> I don't use replication, but I have a customised schema and quite a lot
> of entries. Doing a clean installation and a fresh populate of my
> directory is too much work to contemplate at this time, so I did some
> digging on the web site.
>
> Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but I couldn't find anything about
> how to upgrade from 1.5.4 to 1.5.5... I can see from the changelog that
> server.xml is different. Is there a simple upgrade path for me?
sadly no, however I suggest that you to do it in two steps

1. Tweaking new server.xml to fit to your existing setup (feel free to talk to us if you have any q/issues)

2. Take a LDIF export of the existing data and import into the new server

As I said above, feel free to talk to us here on ML or on #apache-directory on irc.freenode.net
related to any questions/issues you face while modifying 1.5.5 server.xml to fit your existing server setup

Kiran Ayyagari

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Directory Server 1.5.5 released

Posted by Brian Burch <br...@PingToo.com>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Apache Directory Server 1.5.5 released !
>
> The Apache Directory team is proud to announce that the long expected
> 1.5.5 version has been released yesterday.
>
> Downloads are available at
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/downloads.html

Version 1.5.4 has been very stable in my installation for some time. I
would like to upgrade to 1.5.5 just to keep the system tidy and up to
date, but I am also keen to look at the new journal feature.

I don't use replication, but I have a customised schema and quite a lot
of entries. Doing a clean installation and a fresh populate of my
directory is too much work to contemplate at this time, so I did some
digging on the web site.

Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but I couldn't find anything about
how to upgrade from 1.5.4 to 1.5.5... I can see from the changelog that
server.xml is different. Is there a simple upgrade path for me?

Regards,

Brian

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Commons Codec 1.4 released

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.
The commons-codec team is pleased to announce the Commons Codec 1.4 release!

The codec package contains simple encoder and decoders for various formats such as Base64 and Hexadecimal. In addition to these widely used encoders and decoders, the codec package also maintains a collection of phonetic encoding utilities.

http://commons.apache.org/codec/

Compatibility
o Codec 1.4 is binary compatible with Codec 1.3
o Codec 1.4 has a minimum requirement of JDK 1.4

Changes in this version include:

  New Features:

o [CODEC-60] Implement Caverphone.
o [CODEC-52] Digest on InputStreams.
o [CODEC-39] DigestUtils: Add methods for SHA-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512.
o [CODEC-69] Streaming Base64 (Base64InputStream and Base64OutputStream added).
o [CODEC-59] Add methods to Base64 which work with String instead of byte[]

  Fixed bugs:

o [CODEC-77] Base64 bug with empty input (new byte[0]).
o [CODEC-72] Soundex and RefinedSoundex issues with character arrays.
o [CODEC-71] Base64.isArrayByteBase64() method is inefficient for large byte arrays.
o [CODEC-70] Thread safety and malicious code safety improvements.
o [CODEC-68] isBase64 throws ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException on some non-BASE64 bytes.
o [CODEC-65] Fix case-insensitive string handling.
o [CODEC-61] Base64.encodeBase64() throws NegativeArraySizeException on large files.
o [CODEC-58] Character set used by Base64 not documented.
o [CODEC-56] RefinedSoundex creates instance before al fields have been initialized.
o [CODEC-51] Test failures in SoundexTest
o [CODEC-10] Using US_ENGLISH in Soundex caused an NullPointerException.
o [CODEC-6]  Source tarball spews files all over the place.
o [CODEC-22] Base64.isArrayByteBase64() throws an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException for negative octets
o [CODEC-78] Base64: Improve Code Coverage
o [CODEC-81] Base64's new constructor parameters ignored
o [CODEC-83] Improve Double Metaphone test coverage
o [CODEC-84] Double Metaphone bugs in alternative encoding
o [CODEC-73] Make string2byte conversions indepedent of platform default encoding

  Changes:

o [CODEC-75] Make Base64 URL-safe
o [CODEC-74] Allow for uppercase letters output in Hex.encodeHex().
o [CODEC-40] Add crypto-compatible BigInteger encoding support to Base64.

Have fun!
-The commons-codec team

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Directory Server 1.5.5 released

Posted by Ioannis Mavroukakis <im...@gameaccount.com>.
Massive congrats!

Posted by Ioannis Mavroukakis <im...@gameaccount.com>.
Massive congrats!