Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2005/09/07 05:28:25 UTC

Re: limit return results

Hello (redirecting to java-user@),

If you want to have more control over scoring and dealing with hits,
use HitCollector.  Then you can break out when you accumulate enough
results.  Note that scores in HitCollector are not normalized as are
the one coming from IndexSearcher's search(...) methods.

Otis

Re: limit return results

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
You normally just can't break out of the HitCollector and get meaningful
results. The problem is that you get unordered (or rather index order)
results from a HitCollector, not ordered by score or any sort. To get the
highest 100 docs by score, you normally need to see *all* the hits.

On 9/6/05, Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello (redirecting to java-user@),
>
> If you want to have more control over scoring and dealing with hits,
> use HitCollector. Then you can break out when you accumulate enough
> results. Note that scores in HitCollector are not normalized as are
> the one coming from IndexSearcher's search(...) methods.
>
> Otis
>
> --- Murray Altheim <m....@open.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > Erik Hatcher wrote:
> > > Just access the first 100 Hits - simple as that.
> > >
> > > Erik
> >
> > Erik,
> >
> > This question has come up before. For high traffic sites that
> > can't afford to have the search engine accumulating thousands
> > of hits, only to deliver 100, or perhaps just a few, the
> > current approach *seems* like quite a lot of extra processing.
> > Is there some way to have the engine simply stop generating
> > the hit list after it reaches the specified threshold?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Murray

> > Murray Altheim
> > http://www.altheim.com/murray/
> > Strategic and Services Development
> > The Open University Library
> > The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK
> > .
> >
> > believe that everything is for
> > you until you discover
> > that you are for it