Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/05 11:10:14 UTC

Align and Sort Names in Calc

I need to align and sort two columns of names (one is missing some) and the
associated information.

stuff name1    name1  stuff
stuff name2    name4  stuff
stuff name3    name2  stuff
stuff name4    name7  stuff
stuff name5    name3  stuff
               name6  stuff
               name5  stuff

Is it possible to do this and find which names are missing, in Calc? I have
AOO 4.1.1 on Windows 7. It seems like I used to do this a long time ago, on
Linux, but I don't recall how. Thanks for any help!

Linda

Re: Align and Sort Names in Calc

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 05:10 05/02/2015 -0500, Linda Hull wrote:
>I need to align and sort two columns of names (one is missing some)
>and the associated information.
>
>stuff name1 name1 stuff
>stuff name2 name4 stuff
>stuff name3 name2 stuff
>stuff name4 name7 stuff
>stuff name5 name3 stuff
>             name6 stuff
>             name5 stuff
>
>Is it possible to do this and find which names are missing, in Calc?
>I have AOO 4.1.1 on Windows 7.

To sort (here) columns C and D by column C:
o Select the range of cells in those columns (or the entire columns).
o Go to Data | Sort... .
o On the Options tab, tick or untick "Range contains column labels"
as appropriate.
o On the Sort Criteria tab, select "Column C" (or the column heading).
o OK.

To find names in column C missing from column B, enter
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(C1;B$1:B$999;0));"Missing!";"")
in E1 and fill down the column. Note that the name lists do not need
to be sorted for this technique to work.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker