Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2003/02/08 13:56:38 UTC

[Vote] 'hsql' app moves to SourceForge.

Folks,

The 'hsqldb' people at sourcefrog will welcome this application.  It
will be a separate module for their project.

I vote +1 for its removal from Apache.  This has been discussed
elsewhere (incubator etc).

Votes?

Regards,

- Paul

Re: [Vote] 'hsql' app moves to SourceForge.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Peter Royal wrote:
> On Saturday, February 8, 2003, at 07:56  AM, Paul Hammant wrote:
>
>> The 'hsqldb' people at sourcefrog will welcome this application.  It
>> will be a separate module for their project.
>>
>> I vote +1 for its removal from Apache.  This has been discussed
>> elsewhere (incubator etc).
>

> +1

+1

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: [Vote] 'hsql' app moves to SourceForge.

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Saturday, February 8, 2003, at 07:56  AM, Paul Hammant wrote:
> The 'hsqldb' people at sourcefrog will welcome this application.  It
> will be a separate module for their project.
>
> I vote +1 for its removal from Apache.  This has been discussed
> elsewhere (incubator etc).

+1
-pete

Re: [Vote] 'hsql' app moves to SourceForge.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Noel,
>>
>>> I'd also like to point out that Leo (correctly) deleted
>>> the hsqldb.jar from avalon-apps/hsql project for reasons
>>> of restrictive license.
>>
>> I see http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/web/hsqlLicense.html, but I don't see
>> any issue.  The requirement is only to distribute the license with the
>> jar.
>>
> Well Leo deleted (uilaterally) the hsqldb.jar from our CVS cos he felt
> there was a problem.

from the license:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions
and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
notice, this list of
conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or
other materials
provided with the distribution.
- All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
must display the
following acknowledgment: "This product includes Hypersonic SQL."
- Products derived from this software may not be called "Hypersonic SQL"
nor may
"Hypersonic SQL" appear in their names without prior written permission
of the
Hypersonic SQL Group.
- Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
acknowledgment: "This
product includes Hypersonic SQL."

if we meet those requirements we can re-include the jar, I think (IANAL.
I thought LGPL was okay, too). However, since I kinda figured it'll be
moving soon anyway I didn't want to invest a lot of time and it'd be
good to stay on the safe side of all this...

cheers!

- Leo

Re: [Vote] 'hsql' app moves to SourceForge.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Noel,

>>Two jars, an entry in assembly.xml and config.xml.
>>

>Sounds good.  I am looking over the hsqldb @ sourceforge site now.  I see
>one jar, the hsqldb jar.  Where is the second?  Something I need to build
>from the Avalon CVS?  Are there examples for the XML additions?

We are talking about a future event!  Hold your horses... ;-)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Paul,

> Two jars, an entry in assembly.xml and config.xml.

Sounds good.  I am looking over the hsqldb @ sourceforge site now.  I see
one jar, the hsqldb jar.  Where is the second?  Something I need to build
from the Avalon CVS?  Are there examples for the XML additions?

> I'd also like to point out that Leo (correctly) deleted
> the hsqldb.jar from avalon-apps/hsql project for reasons
> of restrictive license.

I see http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/web/hsqlLicense.html, but I don't see
any issue.  The requirement is only to distribute the license with the jar.

	--- Noel

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Noel,

>Excellent.  As soon as Stephen finishes updating the Avalon / James amalgam,
>I would like to drop hsqldb into the James HEAD as the default JDBC
>database.  What will that involve?

Two jars, an entry in assembly.xml and config.xml.

- Paul

RE: [Vote] 'hsql' app moves to SourceForge.

>>The 'hsqldb' people at sourcefrog will welcome this application.  It
>>will be a separate module for their project.
>>

>This is becoming important to me, because I want to do it to James.  *ARE*
>they going to support that package officially?

Yes, I am a committer on that project.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Noel,

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.