Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Robert Hume <rh...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/23 20:22:03 UTC

Should I install 4.x or 5.x? Book recommendations?

Hi,

I'm investigating installing a new Solr deployment to be able to search
about two million documents (mostly HTML and PDF).

QUESTIONS:

A. Should I use Solr 4.x or 5.x?  My concerns are mostly to do with
support.  Is 5.x too new to be able to get good answers and advice from the
community?  Or should I stick with the latest 4.x release?

B. Anyone have a good book recommendation?  I was thinking of buying "Solr
In Action" but it looks like it was published in April 2014 so it won't
have any 5.x info in it?

Thanks!
Rob

Re: Should I install 4.x or 5.x? Book recommendations?

Posted by Ray Niu <ne...@gmail.com>.
I would also suggest to use Solr5, as there are lots of new features. We
are using 5.2.1 now, which is pretty stable.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
To add: 5.x is NOT a hugely different thing from 4.x. The version update
was because of Lucene index versioning issues, nothing to do with core
functionality within Solr.

So, there really is no reason to hold back from using a 5.x release (any
more than there is from holding back from using any latest-and-greatest
release of anything).

Upayavira

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D85K9XC (kindle version) I love
the mixed reviews on that edition :-)
https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/instant-apache-solr-indexing-data-how-instant
(digital version from publisher).  If you join my Solr Resources
mailing list at: http://www.solr-start.com/ you should get 50% off
coupon in the welcome email (let me know if you do not).

Either way, it is a small book, not worth waiting for it to be POD
printed and shipped.

But really, I recommend you find it in some _other_ way. It is only
good as a supplementary material now. And I am too busy to update it
as I am working on a much bigger Solr book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1491920149

Regards,
   Alex.
----