Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jonathan M Z <wo...@yahoo.com> on 2005/02/16 00:55:21 UTC

javascript validation in struts

Hi folks,
I am trying to understand struts validation from some
example code, it has something like this:

action="signin" method="post">

validateSigninForm is a javascript validation.  I
looked up in validation.xml and validator-rules,
neither this javascript function nor anything contain
the word "signin" is to be found, so how does struts
do its magic clientside validation? (the jsp itself
obviously does not have this javasription function
either.
thanks!

Re: how to receive emails related to my questions only?

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.
What if you know the answer to someone's question?
.V

--
Forums, Boards, Blogs and News in RiA <http://www.boardVU.com>

Re: weird problem generating javascript validation from xml

Posted by Mr Maillist <dw...@gmail.com>.
try <html:javascript formName="logonForm" dynamicJavascript="true">

Posted by Jonathan M Z <wo...@yahoo.com>.
there's no server side configuration from the mailing
list that i can tweak?
thanks

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
>On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:06:02 -0800 (PST), Jonathan M Z
><wo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>  hi folks, I am new to the list, I did some search on
>>  my question but no luck.  Is there a way that I only
>>  receive emails related to my post?
>  > thank you

You might try using the list via the GMane archives, which provide a
threaded interface in a web browser; should be a reasonable way to
key in on your topics and ignore others.  If you have a USENET
client, you can use it with GMane in an even more sophisticated
manner, such as killing topics you don't want to see, etc.

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.struts.user

Joe
--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

weird problem generating javascript validation from xml

Posted by Soaring Eagle <co...@gmail.com>.

Re: javascript validation in struts

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
The <html:javascript> tag dynamically generates the function for you - you
should find that somewhere on the JSP page.

http://struts.apache.org/userGuide/struts-html.html#javascript

Niall

Posted by Carlos Cajina <ce...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Jonathan.

A quick "dissection" of the code you posted might clarify some of your
doubts..

* You know what this is...

onsubmit="return validateSigninForm(this)"
* This piece of code calls a dynamically generated JavaScript function
that's created when the page is rendered (for this to happen you have to
include <html:javascript formName="signin" /> within the JSP containing the
form.) As you can see, the function name is composed of three parts:
"validate", which is a default value, + "Signin", which is the name of your
form and the name specified in the <html:javascript... /> tag, + "Form",
which is another default value.

action="signin"
* This is just the Action name that's defined in struts-config.xml for this
JSP an its associated Form bean.

method="post">
* You also know what this is :^)

The validating JavaScript functions containing the different kinds of
validation for a given form are generated within the JSP code (although you
can override this default behavior. See
http://struts.apache.org/userGuide/struts-html.html#javascript). You should
check the examples included in the Struts distribution to verify this (view
source of JSP's after the browser renders'em).

On every submit the JavaScript validation routines are called for every
field participating in the validation process.

Hope it helps...

Regards,

    Carlos

Posted by Kumar deepak <de...@yahoo.com>.