Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/08 13:15:21 UTC

Stance on patch releases

Hello,

now that I canceled the vote on maven-pmd-plugin 3.3 should I go for 3.3.1
or _delete_ and _reuse_ the tag. Or may the release responsible decide this
on his own? I am always in favor of creating a new tag.

Regards
Mirko
--
Sent from my mobile

Re: Stance on patch releases

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Mirco,

I i had to cancel a vote i have deleted the tag, cause it does not made
it to the real public and recreated after fixing the problem...

Based on staging you have the choice of going back....

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Stance on patch releases

Posted by Igor Fedorenko <ig...@ifedorenko.com>.
If you haven't pushed the tag, it is perfectly safe to delete and
recreate it. If you did push, however, the new tag will have to be
propagated manually in each and every clone. You can find more details
in [1], look for "On Re-tagging" section.

Even without git, I find artifacts with the same version but
different contents highly confusing. This is particular true for release
artifacts that are cached in various local repositories, Maven caching
proxies, etc.

[1] https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-tag.html

Igor

Re: Stance on patch releases

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
+1

On Nov 8, 2014, at 9:52 AM, Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We had a lot of trolling about not deleting git tags; but I think they
> all left us. Personally it seems to me like it does not really matter
> all that much; and I'm still here :)
>
> if you rewrite a tag it will be updated once you refresh from the
> remote. There is a danger some replication settings may not refresh
> the rewritten tag, so conceptually there might be mirrors out there
> with incorrect tags. All in all not too much to worry about IMO.
>
> Kristian

>> I'm not a git expert, then my explanations are to be confirmed
>>
>> From what I understood, there is no problem on canonical ASF repo not github
>> mirror. The problem is for people who cloned the repo or updated their clone
>> with initial tag: they don't get the tag update unless they manually delete
>> the cancelled tag.
>>
>> For sure, the problem is limited to people who update their clone during the
>> vote: IMHO, we're talking about Maven developers here.
>>
>> And nobody wrote any instructions on how to do the vote with a temporary tag
>> then make the official tag only after the vote is successful: I don't know how
>> to do that, then I'm personnally hoping I won't have to cancel a vote myself
>> :)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hervé
>>
>> Le samedi 8 novembre 2014 13:31:23 Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :
>>> Hi,

>>> Hm....are there any hints on that, cause i deleted earlier in Git
>>> tags...which i never seen causing any problem...
>>>
>>> Kind regadrds
>>> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

 -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition

Re: Stance on patch releases

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Stance on patch releases

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: Stance on patch releases

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Re: Stance on patch releases

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: Stance on patch releases

Posted by Andreas Gudian <an...@gmail.com>.
I would just respin the release with version 3.3. With Subversion it's not
that big a deal to delete a tag (with a proper comment) and recreate it for
the re-spin.
With git it would be a big no-no to replace an already pushed tag, that's
why I create the final tag only after the vote completed and use tags
ending with *-vote_1 etc instead for the time of the vote.
I remember there were some lengthy discussions about that a year ago or
so...