Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net> on 2006/08/27 18:47:08 UTC

Refactoring Applications--Propoosals

This would deviate from the Data modeling and re-align to Business model
for structure.

rename the application to Departments.
under this would be
Accounting
Payroll
Human recourses
Purchasing
Sales
marketing
Warehousing
Maintenance
CustomerService

I split the ordering in to separate functions, since they may share the
same UI, but really deal with different Entities.  Sales deals with
products, and Purchasing deals with inventory. The allows The product to
have independent ID from the items orders from a supplier.  Part of the
Industry configuration would be to set a default as to whether there is
  inventory for Products or not. This reduces the Data storage of
Entities not used.

I also propose that any entity/service that is shared between
Departments be put in the ofbiz.home/framework/common folder.
This way if a department is not added in the original configuration, the
necessary ssupport is there of the other departments.

The other approach is to have the dependent entities be called out in
each department, and the loader modified to know it has already been
loaded, when specified in another department defs.
There should be only one set of defs but calling them to be loaded in
each department, if that makes sense.

Like the industry proposal, a contributor with a Departments, folder
would be added.