Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> on 2006/02/21 17:47:52 UTC

Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available

Release 1.9 RC1 of Lucene is now available from:

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/java/

This release candidate has many improvements since release 1.4.3,
including new features, performance improvements, bug fixes, etc.  For
details, see:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/lucene/java/branches/lucene_1_9/CHANGES.txt?rev=379190

1.9 will be the last 1.x release. It is both back-compatible with 1.4.3
and forward-compatible with the upcoming 2.0 release. Many methods and
classes in 1.4.3 have been deprecated in 1.9 and will be removed in 2.0.
  Applications must compile against 1.9 without deprecation warnings
before they are compatible with 2.0.

Doug

Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
Terry,

I think most of the examples you provide are normally handled via stemming.
Using wildcarding for stemming will normally be less accurate.

The current behavior is also consistent with the way file globbing works.

-Yonik

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
Marvin,

While a stemming analyzer can work well for general purpose queries, if
you're seeking a decent level of precision/recall, stemming often
severely limits you.  Moreover, unless the user is very familiar with
the behavior of the stemmer used, some of the returned results can be
quite surprising.  The logic of stemmers will, as you suggest, can
eliminate some false positives, it will at the same time introduce new
onees and false negatives as well.

I think the key is that, even if you have imprecise query demands that
can be met by stemming, why limit Lucene's capability to achieve high
levels of precision?  Especially when the alternative (in terms of the
cat? behavior) provides a capability (matching a specific number of
characters) that very few application apparently need?

Terry

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
Terry,

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
Yonik,

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Arguing about this won't change the code.  A well-constructed patch
might (but there are no guarantees).

To me, this sounds like an uphill battle.  If we want to add a feature
to wildcard 0-N characters at the end of a word, then I don't think we'd
use '?' plus a flag.  Rather I think it would be better to be explicit
about it, e.g., "foo?=3" or somesuch.  Such a patch would stand a
greater chance of being accepted.

Doug

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: In either case, what I'm arguing is that the current behavior makes more
: sense in the real world of query expressions (that is, makes the most
: common query expressions simpler), so why not continue it?

I disagree with that statment.  People familiar with shell globing are
going to be confused if "riot??????????????????????" matches "riot" and
"riotXXX".

Are you expecting "r?ot" to match "rot" as well? (i'm not sure if
the initial bug in LUCENE-306 only affected trailing '?' or inner
instances as well)

-Hoss

Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
Hoss,

Whether the previous behavior (which I believe has been present in
Lucene from the outset) was a "bug" or a "feature" is kind of academic.
My point is that this behavior has value that's not countered by any
argument that any significant value is added by eliminating it.

As to your riot?(0,3) syntax proposal, IMHO it's (a) too complicated,
and (b) changes what has been previously the default behavior.

Perhaps I have been "lucky" with the behavior of Lucene.  Alternatively,
perhaps Lucene has been "lucky" to 'stumble' on a more useful capability
than was arguably envisioned by the drafters of the documentation.

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
In reviewing the latest changes incorporated into release 1.9 RC1, I
noticed a change responding to JIRA item LUCENE-306.  According to the
writeup, the new change forces the wildcard pattern 'cat??' to exactly
match the length of the term (in this case, a five-letter term starting
with 'cat').

If my understanding of this change is correct, I'm concerned that this
will actually make some fairly common query expressions more difficult
to construct.

For example, let's say that I'm interested in docs with terms 'riot',
'riots', 'rioting' and 'rioters' (which, I think, is a reasonable kind
of query).  Under the previous versions of QueryParser, I could simply
specify 'riot???' and capture all of those variants.

With the new change (if I understand it correctly), I would have to
either spell out all the individual terms, or specify something like
'(riot riot? riot???)'.  I can see that there might be some cases where
you might want to get only term matches of a specific length; however,
IMHO, those needs would be far less common than the kind of needs I've
tried to illustrate with 'riot???'.

I have a personal interest in that this new change will force me to
change and retest a large number of pre-defined, fairly complex
queries.  If it is deemed important to have the new capability, could we
perhaps incorporate a flag that could be set to override the change and
QueryParser using the previous logic on this?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 23, 2006, at 6:33 PM, Daniel Naber wrote:
> BTW, lucli (the command line lucene searcher) builds fine, but the
> manifest
> in the jar doesn't specify the Main-Class so you cannot start it with
> java's -jar option. Could someone have a look at this (Erik?)? I don't
> understand how that ant task is supposed to work, the manifest is
> specified and looks okay...

Daniel - I'll look into, and resolve, this issue.

	Erik

Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 26, 2006, at 7:18 AM, Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Sonntag 26 Februar 2006 02:42, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>
>> I personally don't think we should be distributing any external
>> dependencies.  Whoever builds the releases needs to have the
>> dependencies locally, but 3rd party JARs, even Apache ones, should
>> not go along for the .tar/zip ride IMO.
>
> I think they should be included to make life easier for our users,
> unless
> it makes Lucene too big (which is not the case for now as the files
> are
> quite small).

For some it will be a benefit to having these additional dependencies
immediately handy, but others may already be using different versions
of those libraries and will need to carefully manage which versions
they use.

I'm not in a position to devote any time to the changes needed to the
contrib build area to have it be smart about this sort of thing
though.  There may be 3rd party libraries that cannot be distributed,
so the build system cannot bulk copy everything in each lib/
directory, I don't think.

	Erik

Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.
On Sonntag 26 Februar 2006 02:42, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> I personally don't think we should be distributing any external
> dependencies.  Whoever builds the releases needs to have the
> dependencies locally, but 3rd party JARs, even Apache ones, should
> not go along for the .tar/zip ride IMO.

I think they should be included to make life easier for our users, unless
it makes Lucene too big (which is not the case for now as the files are
quite small).

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available

Posted by DM Smith <dm...@gmail.com>.

Erik Hatcher wrote:

>>> So far as I know!
>>
>> I found another module that requires external libraries: regex. These
>> are
>> even defined in the additional.dependencies property in the
>> build.xml, but
>> it seems it's not used (at least not for copying the libs to the
>> distribution).
>
> I personally don't think we should be distributing any external
> dependencies.  Whoever builds the releases needs to have the
> dependencies locally, but 3rd party JARs, even Apache ones, should not
> go along for the .tar/zip ride IMO.  In the same manner that Ant
> doesn't ship with junit.jar or any other 3rd party dependencies, it
> still was compiled with them.
>
> I'm happy to go with the flow of the consensus though, and if folks
> want the other JARs to go along then that's fine also.  There should
> definitely be some docs that explain these 3rd party dependencies, and
> I'll add that to the regex docs that I'm going to work on tomorrow.
My opinion as a user of the lucene:

If I understand correctly, there are no dependencies for lucene itself,
but only for contrib? If so, please don't package jars. If not, document
them and let us get them if we use the classes that require them.

On Linux I use jpackage for installs, I expect that the dependencies to
be broken out as separate installs.
As far as Windows goes, I don't have any problem getting jars as I need
them.

Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 25, 2006, at 3:24 PM, Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Freitag 24 Februar 2006 00:50, Doug Cutting wrote:
>
>>> Are these all modules that don't need external libs?
>>
>> So far as I know!
>
> I found another module that requires external libraries: regex.
> These are
> even defined in the additional.dependencies property in the
> build.xml, but
> it seems it's not used (at least not for copying the libs to the
> distribution).

I personally don't think we should be distributing any external
dependencies.  Whoever builds the releases needs to have the
dependencies locally, but 3rd party JARs, even Apache ones, should
not go along for the .tar/zip ride IMO.  In the same manner that Ant

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.
On Freitag 24 Februar 2006 00:50, Doug Cutting wrote:

> > Are these all modules that don't need external libs?
>
> So far as I know!  They built without me downloading anything extra.

Lucli requires jline.jar which is also in SVN and can be distributed thanks
to its very liberal license (jline.LICENSE). Of course the license file
needs to be included then, too.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available: surround package.html files

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Paul, it's in.
Otis

Posted by Paul Elschot <pa...@xs4all.nl>.
On Saturday 25 February 2006 01:23, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> ...Which means this weekend would be a good time for contrib module owners
> to commit a quick one sentence "package.html" for each package in their
> module.  Now that the contrib classes are built/bundled/distributed along
> with lucene-core, documenting what these modules do will be really handy.
>
> contrib packages that are currently lacking a package.html ...

..

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: FYI, I think all of the commits to trunk since the RC1 release are safe
: to merge to the 1.9 branch.  They're mostly documentation improvements.
:   So my plan is currently, on Monday, to merge these changes to the 1.9
: branch, then make a 1.9-final release.  I'll again announce it to the

...Which means this weekend would be a good time for contrib module owners
to commit a quick one sentence "package.html" for each package in their
module.  Now that the contrib classes are built/bundled/distributed along
with lucene-core, documenting what these modules do will be really handy.

contrib packages that are currently lacking a package.html ...

  ant            org.apache.lucene.ant
  luceli         lucli
  miscellaneous  org.apache.lucene.misc
  miscellaneous  org.apache.lucene.queryParser.analyzing
  miscellaneous  org.apache.lucene.queryParser.precedence
  similarity     org.apache.lucene.search.similar
  regex          org.apache.lucene.search.regex
  regex          org.apache.regexp
  surround       org.apache.lucene.queryParser.surround.parser
  surround       org.apache.lucene.queryParser.surround.query

The Demo code base is also missing package level documentation...

  org.apache.lucene.demo
  org.apache.lucene.demo.html

-Hoss

Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Daniel Naber wrote:
> Are these all modules that don't need external libs?

So far as I know!  They built without me downloading anything extra.

FYI, I think all of the commits to trunk since the RC1 release are safe
to merge to the 1.9 branch.  They're mostly documentation improvements.
  So my plan is currently, on Monday, to merge these changes to the 1.9
branch, then make a 1.9-final release.  I'll again announce it to the
dev list on Tuesday, after it's been mirrored, and to the user list on
Wednesday.

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.
On Freitag 24 Februar 2006 00:33, Daniel Naber wrote:

> Shouldn't we include at least some package from contrib, like analyzers
> and highlighter?

Sorry, I totally missed the "contrib" sub directory that contains
everything I'm asking for... Are these all modules that don't need
external libs?

Regards
 Daniel

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.
On Dienstag 21 Februar 2006 18:50, Doug Cutting wrote:

> I will send this announcement to user list tomorrow if no major issues
> are identified.  If things still look good next week, I will promote
> this release to 1.9-final.

Shouldn't we include at least some package from contrib, like analyzers and
highlighter? "ant package" builds fine on my system, but it downloads
libraries from the web, so we cannot distribute everything. But analyzers
and highlighter should be okay. Actually analyzers contains classes that
were in core before, so we really need to include it.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Release 1.9 RC1 of Lucene is now available from:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/java/

I will send this announcement to user list tomorrow if no major issues
are identified.  If things still look good next week, I will promote
this release to 1.9-final.  Once that's out, we can start removing all
of the deprecated stuff from trunk, preparing for the 2.0 release.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> I am wondering what the motivation is for being forward compatible to
> 2.0.  Is the only change from 1.9 to 2.0 going to be the removal of
> deprecated items?

Pretty much, yes.

> Are we going to be preventing ourselves from making
> broader structural changes?  My understanding of a major release is that
> it allows you to make large scale changes, if needed, that may break
> existing dependencies.

We're using the major version number to denote API compatibility.  Index
formats can change (back-compatibly) and features can be added within a
major release, but the API should not change incompatibly.  When we do
need to change the API compatibly we try to do it by introducing new
methods and classes and deprecating old methods an classes.

Lucene has a large install base.  A little effort towards
back-compatibility on our part saves folks a lot of effort.

> For instance, I am working on a lazy field
> loader patch (so that large fields aren't loaded just b/c the document
> is loaded) and also am looking into the possibility of updating single
> fields on a document.  The first change takes the Field class and makes
> it an interface which has two implementations, one that is lazy and the
> current one.  Granted, I haven't submitted the patch yet, but if this is
> something that people are interested in, then it would make 2.0 not be
> compatible with 1.9.

This sounds like it could be done with back-compatible APIs.  The new
interface could be named Fieldable or something rather than field.

> From http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/Lucene2Whiteboard, item #11
> is almost certainly going to break things, as well, if someone takes it on.

I hope this can be done back-compatibly both for the API and the index
format.  If it cannot be reasonably done that way then we'll deal with
that then.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@syr.edu>.
Doug Cutting wrote:

> 1.9 will be the last 1.x release. It is both back-compatible with
> 1.4.3 and forward-compatible with the upcoming 2.0 release. Many
> methods and classes in 1.4.3 have been deprecated in 1.9 and will be
> removed in 2.0.  Applications must compile against 1.9 without
> deprecation warnings before they are compatible with 2.0.

I am wondering what the motivation is for being forward compatible to
2.0.  Is the only change from 1.9 to 2.0 going to be the removal of
deprecated items?  Are we going to be preventing ourselves from making
broader structural changes?  My understanding of a major release is that
it allows you to make large scale changes, if needed, that may break
existing dependencies.  For instance, I am working on a lazy field
loader patch (so that large fields aren't loaded just b/c the document
is loaded) and also am looking into the possibility of updating single
fields on a document.  The first change takes the Field class and makes
it an interface which has two implementations, one that is lazy and the
current one.  Granted, I haven't submitted the patch yet, but if this is
something that people are interested in, then it would make 2.0 not be
compatible with 1.9.

 From http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/Lucene2Whiteboard, item #11
is almost certainly going to break things, as well, if someone takes it on.

Is this kind of thing ruled out by the forward-compatibility issue or
should I just submit my patch when it is ready and let the chips fall
where they may?

-Grant