Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Ophir Cohen <op...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/16 20:25:21 UTC

Region locality and .META. region

Hi,
I have two questions:
1. Does HBase knows how to handle blocks moving.
e.g does HBase can recognize that some local block deleted from machine and
move that region to machine with that block?

2. What happen if the region server of the .META. failed? Does HBase has
duplicate region for that? how can I find the regions without that table? Am
I missing here something?

Thanks,
Ophir

Re: Region locality and .META. region

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
> Hi,
> I have two questions:
> 1. Does HBase knows how to handle blocks moving.
> e.g does HBase can recognize that some local block deleted from machine and
> move that region to machine with that block?

No, transparent.

> 2. What happen if the region server of the .META. failed? Does HBase has
> duplicate region for that? how can I find the regions without that table? Am
> I missing here something?

It gets replayed like any other region. Finding your regions will
block (retries are done under the hood) like any other call to a
region that's moving.

J-D