Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2009/02/04 06:14:26 UTC

[general] How to link JIRA issues and commits

Hi all,

since I'm sort of a new commons committer (technically I've always
been, I've just not used it much) I'm unsure whether there is a policy
of how you connect svn commits and JIRA issues around here.

So far I've named the JIRA issue in the commit message and noted the
svn revision inside a comment to the JIRA issue.  Is there anything
else I should have done like adding an explicit link to the svn
revision in JIRA (bugzilla adds them automatically nowadays)?

Thanks

        Stefan

Re: [general] How to link JIRA issues and commits

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-02-04, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

>> So far I've named the JIRA issue in the commit message and noted the
>> svn revision inside a comment to the JIRA issue.  Is there anything
>> else I should have done like adding an explicit link to the svn
>> revision in JIRA (bugzilla adds them automatically nowadays)?

> <snip/>

> No, just mentioning the JIRA issue in the commit message is
> sufficient.  This causes our JIRA to pick 'em up and they appear in
> the "Subversion Commits" tab. For example:

Ah, OK, I see them in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SANDBOX-276 - so I've done
things correctly by accident.  Cool.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Due to this, noting the svn revision in a comment to the JIRA issue
> can be considered optional (its good practice nevertheless).

+1 on it being good practice

Including the relevant revision number in a Jira comment can come in
really handy in cases where there was a typo in the Jira key included
in the commit message. (Been there, done that...)

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [general] How to link JIRA issues and commits

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SCXML-91?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion:subversion-commits-tabpanel

Due to this, noting the svn revision in a comment to the JIRA issue
can be considered optional (its good practice nevertheless).

-Rahul

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-02-04, Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not a committer to the project, but I've worked on other projects with
> svn and JIRA.  If you use the Eclipse, there's a plugin called Mylyn that
> you can use that makes this process a little easier.

Thanks for the pointer Mark.

I've read about Mylyn and even gave it a short testdrive, but neither
Mylyn nor Eclipse match with my preferred workflow[1].  I'm sure that
it works great for many others.

Cheers

        Stefan

[1] To put that into perspective, I live and breathe Emacs.  This is
an old dog who feels he doesn't need to learn new tricks.

Re: [general] How to link JIRA issues and commits

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan,
I'm not a committer to the project, but I've worked on other projects with
svn and JIRA.  If you use the Eclipse, there's a plugin called Mylyn that
you can use that makes this process a little easier.  As you work on an
issue, Mylyn keeps track of the files that you worked on (called a context
or change set).  To commit all changes for a particular issue, you simply
open the issue in Eclipse, and commit the files that you see listed under
the Context tab.  You can also attach the context to the issue, this makes
it easier if the issue is reopened in the future, since Mylyn automatically
reopens all files that are in the attached context -- so somebody can pickup
where you left off.  You can see a demo of this here:

http://www.redmonk.com/cote/2007/12/11/the-jira-connector-for-mylyn-demo/

Hope this helps,

Mark

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> since I'm sort of a new commons committer (technically I've always
> been, I've just not used it much) I'm unsure whether there is a policy
> of how you connect svn commits and JIRA issues around here.
>
> So far I've named the JIRA issue in the commit message and noted the
> svn revision inside a comment to the JIRA issue.  Is there anything
> else I should have done like adding an explicit link to the svn
> revision in JIRA (bugzilla adds them automatically nowadays)?
>
> Thanks
>
>        Stefan

Mark Fortner

blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/jroller/ideafactory